If I were a novelist wanting to write a story about a ludicrous sham election audit, I'd be tempted to come up with a story similar to Wisconsin's ongoing farce though I'd fear readers would consider it too ridiculous.
The problem began before the Republicans' "investigation" even got underway. To oversee the wildly unnecessary probe, GOP officials tapped former Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Michael Gableman a "Stop the Steal" conspiracy theorist who tried to undermine public confidence in the elections by peddling nonsense.
We learned this week that Gableman was also a Donald Trump appointee from the former president's post-election lame-duck period. Who better to investigate Trump's election conspiracy theories in a fair and impartial fashion, of course than a partisan who worked for Trump?
Conditions went from bad to worse after the election "review" began in earnest. As we discussed the other day, Gableman acknowledged that he doesn't have "any understanding of how elections work." He also issued strange subpoenas, demanded materials that are already publicly available, sent error-filled requests to the wrong local officials, and invited officials to participate in private meetings at a location he shares with a liposuction clinic.
Making matters quite a bit worse, Gableman appeared on a conservative radio show to compare The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel to Nazi propaganda, complete with multiple Joseph Goebbels references. Gableman also showed up at a city council meeting in Green Bay, where he suggested an election investigation is warranted based on some unidentified stuff he saw online.
Gableman also hired Andrew Kloster, another Republican lawyer from the Trump administration who's touted the Big Lie.
Or put another way, Wisconsin's election audit which the public is supposed to believe is credible and evenhanded is being led by two conspiracy theorists who worked for the former president.
As the Washington Post reported yesterday, the fiasco has not gone unnoticed.
"I do think it's harmful," Barry C. Burden, director of the Elections Research Center at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, said of the review. "It's obviously amateurish and uncoordinated and irresponsible and open-ended and partisan. The people who are leading the effort have already decided they think the election was fraudulent, or they're distrustful of the outcome. It's a violation of all the standards you'd use in a usual election audit or review the state might do."
The editorial board of The Capital Times in Madison this week described Gableman as "a bumbling political careerist who gave up his seat on the state's highest court bench because his tenure had been so disgraceful that he would never have been re-elected."
The editors added, in reference to the absurd and unnecessary election investigation, "Gableman is being paid with taxpayer funds to spout his lies and vitriol. This cannot go on."
A Journal Sentinel editorial added yesterday that Gableman "is flushing taxpayer dollars down the drain to support a lie." The editors added, "Republicans should be embarrassed that public money is being used to lend legitimacy to a lie whose premise is at odds with both common sense and the Constitution."
I agree that GOP officials should be embarrassed, but there's little to suggest that they are. Rachel spoke last night to Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul, who's urged state officials to shut down the sham process, but who said the Republican legislators responsible for the charade intend to let it continue.
In theory, if Wisconsin voters are repulsed by the circus, the GOP majority in the state legislature would risk a political backlash by allowing the taxpayer-financed exercise to continue. But in practice, Wisconsin Republicans won't care because they've rigged the state's district lines to such a degree that the GOP keeps power, even when Democrats win more votes.
As regular readers know, Wisconsin's Republican legislators in the state can make unpopular and irresponsible decisions with impunity, comfortable in the knowledge that, despite operating in an ostensible democracy, voters aren't entirely in charge.
Steve Benen is a producer for "The Rachel Maddow Show," the editor of MaddowBlog and an MSNBC political contributor. He's also the bestselling author of "The Impostors: How Republicans Quit Governing and Seized American Politics."
See the original post here:
Why the head of Wisconsin's sham audit is facing resignation calls - MSNBC
- How to Look Like You're 20 Again: Beauty Tips and Tricks That Guarantee Results - The Seeker Newsmagazine Cornwall - The Seeker - November 23rd, 2021
- Vampire Facelift: Experts reveal the pros and cons of a procedure that helped Kim Kardashian accentuate her features - Times Now - November 23rd, 2021
- 'RHOP' RECAP: Wendy Brings 'Big' Receipts, Chris Confronts Mia & Nicki Minaj Surprises The Ladies In Reunion Part 3! - All About The Tea - November 23rd, 2021
- From tummy tucks to facelifts: Pet plastic surgery happening in Northeast Ohio - fox8.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Dr. John Anastasatos of Los Angeles Plastic Surgery Announces an Innovative and More Effective Minimally Invasive Facelift Procedure - Yahoo Finance - November 9th, 2021
- Amber Rose Is Getting Liposuction on Her Stomach: 'I Have a Lot of Scar Tissue From My C-Sections' - PEOPLE - November 9th, 2021
- Mama June shows off glam makeover in new TikTok at over one year sober after destroying looks in addiction... - The US Sun - November 9th, 2021
- Katie Price shows off the results of her recent facelift in Turkey... - The US Sun - November 9th, 2021
- Liposuction Equipment Market Recent Opportunities with Growth Forecasts by 2027 Alma Lasers, Ambicare Clinics, Bruker Corporation and Others LSMedia... - November 9th, 2021
- Everything to Know About the Newest Jawline-Tightening Treatments - NewBeauty Magazine - November 9th, 2021
- Horrifying report exposes the seedy underworld of lethally botched butt-injection operations - Raw Story - November 9th, 2021
- The curious afterlife of the Lord of the Skies - Business Insider - November 9th, 2021
- Column: The basics of plastic surgery | South Lake Tahoe - SouthTahoeNow.com - South Tahoe Now - November 9th, 2021
- Dr. Nitin J. Engineer: Everything You Need to Know About Tummy Tucks - Las Vegas Review-Journal - November 9th, 2021
- Dr. Luis Macias and Aesthetic MdR Named Top Plastic Surgeon, Best Surgery Center and Best MediSpa - Business Wire - November 9th, 2021
- Pain point - The New Indian Express - October 29th, 2021
- Body modifier breached duty of care: Crown - The West Australian - October 29th, 2021
- Body mod trial 'a freedom of choice issue' - Northern Beaches Review - October 29th, 2021
- Vertex (VRTX) to Report Q3 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - October 29th, 2021
- Dr. Nitin J. Engineer is Changing the Plastic Surgery Field for the Better - Westword - October 29th, 2021
- Opioid Analgesics Sales to Grow by 1.7X through 2031 as the Demand for Post-Surgery Pain Management Continues to Rise: Future Market Insights - Yahoo... - October 29th, 2021
- Good Karma: Russian Monk's Gender Affirmative Journey & Why Bengaluru is the Preferred Destination - News18 - October 29th, 2021
- Global Liposuction Surgery Devices Market 2021 Future Set to Massive Growth with High CAGR value | Market Players: Wells Johnson Co, Zeltiq aesthetics... - October 29th, 2021
- What its really like to freeze your fat with CoolSculpting - harpersbazaar.com - October 29th, 2021
- Wild West without the sheriffs: Cosmetic clinics accused of botched surgeries, breaches - Sydney Morning Herald - October 29th, 2021
- What It's Like to Get 'Gladiator' Surgery to Sculpt Abs and Pecs - menshealth.com - October 29th, 2021
- Tips for recovery after breast reconstruction surgery - Baylor College of Medicine News - October 17th, 2021
- Weve spent tens of thousands on surgery can you guess what weve had done and whose nip and tucks cost t... - The Sun - October 17th, 2021
- Body modifier said he had no qualification - Northern Beaches Review - October 17th, 2021
- Jane Park's body transformation - from girl next door to lotto winner to celeb - The Mirror - October 17th, 2021
- Liposuction Surgical Procedures Market Research Report by Technology, by Body Parts, by Application, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative... - October 17th, 2021
- Sex Change Surgeries On The Rise In India; 30-Year-Old Shares Her Story - TheHealthSite - October 17th, 2021
- 5 things you need to know about Meghan King including THAT sordid threesome - MEAWW - October 17th, 2021
- Global Medical Aesthetics Market (2021 to 2028) - Growing Adoption of Minimally Invasive and Non-invasive - Benzinga - October 17th, 2021
- Expert reveals Teen Mom 2 alum Jenelle Evans is the most beautiful of the cast, according to the golden... - The US Sun - October 17th, 2021
- Top plastic surgeon on how he knocks 20 years off women with overnight 'mummy makeovers' - Daily Star - October 17th, 2021
- Jeremy Warner, MD, FACS, a Plastic Surgeon with Warner Aesthetic and Reconstructive Institute - Pro News Report - October 17th, 2021
- Cardi B in Paris: All of the Star's Amazing Fashion Week Looks So Far - PEOPLE - October 6th, 2021
- Cardi B says she lost so much blood during birth as she ... - October 6th, 2021
- Cardi B REACTS to liposuction rumours after welcoming baby; Reveals tragic reason behind her snatched bod - PINKVILLA - October 6th, 2021
- Hong Kong doctor jailed for 6 years over dance instructors death in liposuction procedure - Hong Kong Free Press - October 6th, 2021
- Liposuction Procedure Steps | American Society of Plastic ... - October 6th, 2021
- Hagens Berman: Law Firm Investigating Permanent Injuries and Disfigurement from Botched CoolSculpting Procedures - Yahoo Finance - October 6th, 2021
- Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery 'Experts': Can We Really Trust Them? - City Watch - October 6th, 2021
- Willow Smith says she considered getting a Brazilian butt lift. Here's why the procedure is so dangerous. - Yahoo Philippines News - October 6th, 2021
- Sales of Ultrasonic Electrosurgery Devices Is Expected to Account for over US$ 1000 Mn Revenues by 2022-end - Digital Journal - October 6th, 2021
- What Exactly Is a Brazilian Butt Lift and Why Is Everyone Talking About Them? - POPSUGAR - October 6th, 2021
- Bakersfield surgeon placed on five-year probation - KERO 23ABC News - October 6th, 2021
- Fat freezing complications may be more common than thought - Euro Weekly News - October 6th, 2021
- Plastic surgeon to celebrities explains every tool she uses - Insider - October 6th, 2021
- Medical Aesthetics Market Report Highlights The Competitive Scenario With Impact Of Drivers And Challenges 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - September 1st, 2021
- Study Results Announced During Award-Winning Presentation on the Effect of Sufentanil Sublingual Tablet on Outpatient Plastic Surgery at the Annual... - September 1st, 2021
- Jr NTR guts: He talks about being obese in past.. - Tollywood - September 1st, 2021
- 'Nine Perfect Strangers': Samara Weaving's Perspective of Influencers Changed After Playing Jessica - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 1st, 2021
- Plastic surgeon with offices in Brea, Beverly Hills charged with sexually assaulting 2 patients - KTLA Los Angeles - September 1st, 2021
- 'RHOP': Candiace Dillard on Her Co-Stars Body-Shaming Wendy Osefo - 'They're Bored' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 1st, 2021
- Porsha Williams Shuts Down Plastic Surgery Rumors, Says Its Ok to Have a Fupa or Gut - Us Weekly - September 1st, 2021
- Marlo Hampton shows swelling of the eyes after receiving a hair transplant - Floridanewstimes.com - August 19th, 2021
- I had two Liposuction surgeries Tonto Dike reveals - Daily Post Nigeria - August 19th, 2021
- Katie Price savagely mocked by fiance Carl Woods as he tells her shes gone too far with plastic sur... - The US Sun - August 19th, 2021
- The Hills Heidi Montag undergoes surgery to help with conceiving her second child with husband Spencer P... - The US Sun - August 19th, 2021
- Katie Price and Carl Woods tease that countdown is on until wedding - Metro.co.uk - August 19th, 2021
- Teen Mom Bristol Palin shows off impressive abs in a sports bra & leggings weeks after showing off tummy... - The US Sun - August 19th, 2021
- Mum-of-four recalls horrific ordeal after tummy tuck procedure in Turkey goes horribly wrong - Sunday World - August 19th, 2021
- Detroit Native Becomes First Black Woman To Launch Weight Loss Supplement In The Vitamin Shoppe - BET - August 19th, 2021
- Teen Mom Bristol Palin reunites with ex Dakota Meyer and daughter Sailor, 5, while fans think theyre back... - The Sun - August 19th, 2021
- Ajaipal Kang, M.D.: What to know and do before having cosmetic surgery - GoErie.com - August 6th, 2021
- What is Donda?... - The US Sun - August 6th, 2021
- The Global Medical Aesthetics Market Continues To Grow Owing To the Rising Demand for Surgical Procedures Related To Better External Appearances,... - August 6th, 2021
- The BBL effect: How the Brazilian butt lift went mainstream - Vox.com - August 6th, 2021
- Chinese streaming star dies after botched liposuction leads to infection with flesh-eating bacteria - The Independent - July 22nd, 2021
- Learn how to remove unwanted fat with procedures beyond liposuction - ABC 4 - July 22nd, 2021
- 'Rogue ballerina' Georgina Pazcoguin on bullying, affairs and secret liposuction - The Times - July 22nd, 2021
- Chinese influencers death after liposuction highlights dangers of plastic surgery - SupChina - July 22nd, 2021
- Newsweek Names Dr. Brian Reedy One of America's Best Plastic Surgeons in 2021 | Around the Web-Pennsylvania - Pennsylvanianewstoday.com - July 22nd, 2021
- liposuction jars Market 2021, Scope and Price Analysis of Top Manufacturers Profiles The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 22nd, 2021
- Katie Price reveals close up look at her new face with no filter after surgery that left her fearing she... - The Sun - July 22nd, 2021
- Global Aesthetic Services Market to Reach $25 Billion by 2027 - Yahoo Finance - July 22nd, 2021
- Jackie Bracamontes showing off her slim figure in a bikini by the pool - Amico Hoops - July 22nd, 2021
- No Shame In Wanting To Look Younger - It Is Natural And You Might As Well Live Longer - Forbes - July 22nd, 2021