Plastic surgeon Dr. Carlos Mata, a.k.a. Dr. Scottsdale, is the creator of the 'Gladiator,' a procedure which offers men a toned, muscular-appearing body by removing fat from the belly and back, as well as optional extras such as injecting fat into the pecs for a bigger chest, and "carving" more defined abs. Men's Health spoke with one of Dr. Mata's patients, a 45-year-old man who had the 'Gladiator' performed earlier this year at Natural Results Plastic Surgery in Scottsdale, Arizona.
I've been into fitness my whole life. I started exercising with a weight bench when I was 17, and since then I've always worked out. I've gone to multiple kinds of gyms, done everything from CrossFit to P90X, followed all kinds of diets. But I could never get the body I wanted, and I was starting to think I'd never get there. And then I stumbled across this procedure. It's an expensive procedure, and a very skilled procedure, but fortunately I had the money and a qualified doctor happened to be in my town. So it all just kind of aligned. But for me, it was the last resort of many years of trying to achieve those results naturally.
That's the crux of it. I genuinely don't think there was any other way to get there, and if there was, I probably would have done it now.
I was pretty fit. At 44 years old, I could do a lot of pushups and all of these things, but at the end of the day, I had chest fat that I could not reduce, and belly fat that just would not move. It was really interesting talking to the doctor and learning that there are areas of fat that you don't even realize exist.
It was actually done through video because of Covid. I took my shirt off, and he looked at everything. It's like, "hey doc, you know, I've been exercising my whole life and this isn't changing, can you make this look like that?" I'm sure other people might have a different conversation. I'd already done a lot of research, and I was aware of Dr. Mata's reputation and credentials, so really we were just talking about what I wanted to get out of the experience.
I did everything. I made a lot of money in crypto, and I figured this is part of a big lifestyle change, so why not go for all of it in one surgery. So I did the Lipo 360, which means that fat gets sucked back out of the entire torso area, which in and of itself is amazing. But then I also did do the skin tightening procedure that you pay extra for, and the ab etching, and I had fat transferred into the flat area of my chest to make it pop.
Corey JenkinsGetty Images
I had very minor liposuction done five years prior to the surgery, but during that first procedure I was actually awake the whole time. I was a little taken aback when I learned that Id be going under anesthesia for several hours this time around. But I wouldn't say I was apprehensive at all, as I already had an idea of how horrible the following weeks after surgery were going to be.
They did everything in one go. My understanding is that it was about a five-hour operation. It could typically be anywhere from four to eight hours would be blocked out, but I'm pretty sure it was a five-hour procedure.
So you don't really see or feel the difference when you wake up because you're so spaced out. Youre barely conscious, very tired, and you just want pain pills, and youre wearing this special vest. So you don't really see your results until the day after the surgery. You go back when the doctor wants to see you, and then you get undressed and take off the vest and you can actually see the results.
The swelling starts to kick in over the next few days. And it could take weeks to months for it to kind of do this crescendo thing where you get very, very puffy. And then it all starts to settle down, and the abs, the pectoral muscles, the back, everything just naturally heals quite quickly.
My first experience of liposuction was not very good at all. And it's my understanding that once you've had a surgery, the scar tissue and the stuff that exists in there, because someone else operated on you, makes the procedure even more difficult, and Dr. Mata still did an absolute, amazing job. You would have never even known that he had to work through any kind of old scar tissue from any kind of previous surgery.
I'm blown away. It has surpassed my expectations. I feel like I paid Michelangelo to use my body as a lump of clay. It's unbelievable, it genuinely blows my mind. You don't realize how far you are from what you want until you get it.
You could honestly just tell somebody you got a mole removed, it doesnt even look like a scar, its like a little pinhole. The only thing that's visible, if you were at a beach, the only thing that anybody would ever notice is a tiny dot below the belly button area. Then there's more on the back, which I don't really see every day or think about, but I know there's one on the back too. There are these tiny little things at your arm at the front of your armpits, but with your arms down you cant even tell theyre there.
The real scarring is in the pubic area, there are two holes below the waistline that they use: these are what healed the slowest and have probably done the most damage to the skin, but even then your pubic hair covers them. As far as the etching on the six pack, there's no scarring from that whatsoever. He approaches from a different angle down low where he does not focus your stomach at all. So in the whole front of your torso, there's no visible scars in that area or holes.
Nobody knows I had the surgery. I told people I had a hernia. I actually thought the recovery was going to be easy enough that I wouldn't be so beat up. But I told everyone I had a hernia surgery except for my friend that drove me, and my massage therapist, who does the lymph node stuff. And I don't care that she knows. So really, I set that as a little secret. I don't want anyone to know, and I have very tight-lipped. Because I was already in good shape, I think people just think Ive been going extra hard in the gym.
Youre clear to go back to the gym about four weeks after the procedure if you want to, but for me personally, I didnt go back for a couple of months. I was training at a gym doing really hardcore CrossFit at the time, and I just didn't want to go rushing back into all that stuff because I was still in that healing zone. So in general, I was more conservative in moving forward with things. I kept telling myself Id just gotten the results I wanted, whats another month or two, just let the body relax, dont try to shock the system while its healing.
I mean, it has to, because by default you look better. I've been in bars where, wearing the right shirt, I've had women grab my stomach and be like, are you with anyone. That didn't happen before the surgery. So there is a huge difference, and that is fun and cool. And that is part of the result that you want. My confidence was already at a 95, and its pushed me to 100.
Theres no doubt about it, the results are worth the money. Even with all the pain that I had to go through while recovering. I will tell you it is a horrible recovery process. Horrible, horrible, horrible. That first week, your minutes, minutes feel like hours. And even now, after six months, its still healing. But I would absolutely do it again.
It is 100 percent sustainable. I've actually probably lost a couple of pounds since the surgery, I think Im closer to 170 now. Obviously it depends on your DNA and your body's size, but if you've gone through what I went through and you had the surgery, if you're consuming the right amount of calories and expensing the right amount of energy to other activities, I would argue that you dont even necessarily need to work out to maintain this look.
The nice thing is now is that I can actually go to the gym and work on what I want to work on, and not be so focused on trying to burn these calories and burn this fat. It's like I've spent decades in the gym trying to conquer something that I personally don't think can be conquered. So that's frustrating, because now when I go to the gym, I can actually focus on something that is conquerable, increasing my arm by an inch or two, making my lats stronger, instead of being so focused on trying to get the core the way I want it, which was an impossible task. So even working out is more enjoyable.
So for me, I know I would never get further work. It's not because of a bad experience with this, but because there's nothing that I want to change, there's no need for a modification or a touch-up.
Its hard for me to recommend it because nobody knows that I had it. In theory, if somebody was like, hey should I get this, theres one thing I want them to understand. If youre not active and you dont go to the gym, but you want the results, I would tell you no, you should really go to the gym, because the surgery is going to take you three to six months to fully recover and get the results you want. So why not just go to the gym and try to do it? In my opinion, as great as Dr. Mata is, its a last resort, not a first, second, or third choice. And not just because of the cost. If you can do it naturally, why would you want to cheat yourself out of that?
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
What It's Like to Get 'Gladiator' Surgery to Sculpt Abs and Pecs - menshealth.com
- Amy Schumer Is 'Trying to Be Healthy' After Hysterectomy, Liposuction: 'I Want to Feel Hot' - PEOPLE - May 13th, 2022
- Body Contouring Devices Market by Type (Skin Tightening and Resurfacing, Cellulite Treatment, Liposuction, Other), Application (Hospitals, Beauty... - May 13th, 2022
- Moms: didn't get what you hoped for on Mother's Day -- give this gift to YOU! - FOX 13 News Utah - May 13th, 2022
- Dr. Jennifer Berman is now offering the revolutionary laser liposuction, Beautifill - Digital Journal - May 13th, 2022
- AcelRx Pharma (ACRX) Reports Publication of Results from an Investigator-Initiated Trial on Sufentanil Sublingual Tablet (SST) Compared to Standard... - May 13th, 2022
- Aesthetic Devices Market Is Expected to Reach USD 28865.17 million and IS Grow At a CAGR of 10.30% andSize, Share, Trends, Growth, Treatment, Country,... - May 13th, 2022
- Surgeon Dr. Demetris Stavrou Offers Cosmetic, Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery in Cyprus, Malta, and Greece - Digital Journal - May 13th, 2022
- The Science of Breast Implants: Everything to Know About Your Implants' Gel, Fill and Shell - NewBeauty Magazine - May 13th, 2022
- Aesthetic Equipment Market: Rising incidences of obesity to drive the market - BioSpace - May 13th, 2022
- Drew Sidora Says Body Shaming From Real Housewives Of Atlanta Cast Led Her To Get Plastic Surgery - Reality Tea - May 13th, 2022
- Tummy tuck surgery, (Abdominoplasty) | Nuffield Health - April 30th, 2022
- How Much Does Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Cost? (See ... - April 30th, 2022
- Aesthetic Devices Market Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Is Expected to Reach USD 28865.17 million and IS Grow At a CAGR of 10.30% during the forecast... - April 30th, 2022
- Woman Gets Hole in Her Belly After Gotten Infected with Very Serious Flesh-Eating Disease - Nature World News - April 30th, 2022
- The women getting cosmetic procedures in secret - Dazed - April 30th, 2022
- Indiana Mother Dies After BBL & Tummy Tuck Surgery In Dominican Republic - The Shade Room - April 30th, 2022
- Liposuction Jars Market Size, Scope And Forecast | Anand Medicaids, Kohlberg, Medco Manufacturing, Human Med, Innovia Medical themobility.club -... - April 30th, 2022
- Global Tumescent Liposuction Market 2022 Industry Demand, Growth Opportunities, Future Trends, Key Players, and Forecast to 2028 Ripon College Days... - April 30th, 2022
- My only daughter died after cosmetic doctor sucked out 5 STONE of fat in a liposuction operation she fou... - The US Sun - April 30th, 2022
- Lipofilling procedure improves pain and function in finger osteoarthritis - EurekAlert - April 30th, 2022
- Anti-cellulite Care Products Market: 33% of Growth to Originate from Europe | By Product (Topical and Non-invasive) and Geography - Forecast to 2026 -... - April 30th, 2022
- You'll Never Guess the Second Most 'Cosmetic SurgeryObsessed' State - NewBeauty Magazine - April 30th, 2022
- Avenue Plastic Surgery wins the 2021 Readers Choice Award for Cosmetic Surgery - PR Web - April 30th, 2022
- To Botox or not to Botox? That is the question - The National - April 30th, 2022
- THE AESTHETIC SOCIETY RELEASES ANNUAL STATISTICS REVEALING SIGNIFICANT INCREASES IN FACE, BREAST and BODY IN 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 16th, 2022
- Reimagining How We Treat Acute Pain: A Narrative Review - Cureus - April 16th, 2022
- Vertex's Robust Pipeline is Ramping Up for Another Big Year - BioSpace - April 16th, 2022
- Mycobacterium abscessus infections linked to plastic surgeries performed in Paraguay - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today - April 16th, 2022
- Names in the News: People shaping the future of Lake Area business - American Press | American Press - American Press - April 16th, 2022
- Aesthetic Devices Market Is Expected to Reach USD 28865.17 million and IS Grow At a CAGR of 10.30% during the forecast period of 2022-2029 | Alma... - April 16th, 2022
- Body-modification addict 'Human Satan' has ears amputated to mark end of facemasks - Daily Record - April 16th, 2022
- The Welsh actors you may recognise from your favourite Netflix and TV shows - Wales Online - April 16th, 2022
- Medical spas are seeing a boost in beauty procedures as people emerge from two pandemic years at home - CNBC - April 16th, 2022
- Ireland Baldwin Shares Selfies After Getting a 'FaceTite' a Type of Liposuction on Her Chin - PEOPLE - April 16th, 2022
- Doctor Reacts to Very Strange Addictions | MedPage Today - Medpage Today - April 16th, 2022
- Ask the Doctors: Cryolipolysis is the process of freezing fat - Frederick News Post - April 16th, 2022
- All Katie Price's Plastic Surgeries Explored with Before and After Pictures - TheTealMango - April 16th, 2022
- Dolly Parton's Skincare Tip That Keeps Her From Experiencing 'Problems That Women My Age Do' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - April 16th, 2022
- No, The Curvy Latina Ideal Isnt Healthier than Other Beauty Standards - Refinery29 - April 4th, 2022
- I got a tummy tuck so my husband would find me more attractive he cheated anyway but now Im happier on m... - The US Sun - April 4th, 2022
- Amy Schumer wants to 'be real' about her liposuction ... - April 4th, 2022
- Liposuction Cost | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - April 4th, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About Arm Liposuction - News Anyway - April 4th, 2022
- Mob Wives star Renee Graziano gives shocking glimpse into her liposuction & skin tightening surgery with... - The US Sun - April 4th, 2022
- Mom, 47, dies after liposuction op in Mexico that left her with brain damage & having to be resuscitated... - The US Sun - April 4th, 2022
- Plastic Surgeon NJ | Best Plastic Surgeon New Jersey - Dr ... - April 4th, 2022
- Home Page: Clinics in Plastic Surgery - April 4th, 2022
- What is a 'mommy makeover'? Plastic surgeons explain the popular trend - Yahoo Life - April 4th, 2022
- Vertex Announces Statistically Significant and Clinically Meaningful Results From Two Phase 2 Proof-of-Concept Studies of VX-548 for the Treatment of... - April 4th, 2022
- Findings From Queen's University Belfast Advance Knowledge In Bariatric Surgery (Sociodemographic Characteristics Of Patients And Their Use Of... - April 4th, 2022
- My USP is to provide aesthetic yet natural-looking results: Dr Rajat Gupta - The Sunday Guardian Live - The Sunday Guardian - April 4th, 2022
- Heron Therapeutics: Cash Is A Problem Again - Seeking Alpha - April 4th, 2022
- Abdominoplasty - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - March 23rd, 2022
- Abdominoplasty Overview: Cost, Recovery, Before & After ... - March 23rd, 2022
- Body Fat Reduction Market to cross $17 Billion by 2028, Says Global Market Insights Inc. - PR Newswire UK - March 23rd, 2022
- Vertex: More Opportunities Ahead - Seeking Alpha - March 23rd, 2022
- Maia Plastic Surgery is Excited to Announce the Acquisition of the New, Revolutionary Emsculpt NEO machine - Yahoo Finance - March 23rd, 2022
- Body image issues affect close to 40% of men but many dont get the support they need - The Conversation - March 23rd, 2022
- Liposuction Can Produce Great Outcomes for People Like Amy Schumer but VASER Liposculpting is the Gold St - Benzinga - March 23rd, 2022
- Liposuction Machine Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth Opportunities, Future Trends, Covid-19 Impact, SWOT Analysis, Competition... - March 23rd, 2022
- Whats Inside Everyone Wins Nominees Gift Bag: From Liposuction Treatments to Scottish Castle Stay - Hollywood Reporter - March 23rd, 2022
- Everything Amy Schumer Has Said About Her Decision to Get Liposuction After Giving Birth - Us Weekly - March 23rd, 2022
- Danielle Lloyd is not ashamed of having OnlyFans as it helps feed the kids - FOX 28 Spokane - March 23rd, 2022
- Signs You Have Acid Reflux, According to Physicians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - March 23rd, 2022
- Panniculectomy Vs Tummy Tuck | What Is A Panniculectomy? - March 23rd, 2022
- Dr. Ivan Puah Highlights The Significant Impact Of Covid That Changes Our Priority In Life - Benzinga - Benzinga - January 19th, 2022
- New Year's weight loss resolution might put you at risk of falling for a scam | Better Business Bureau - Commercial Appeal - January 19th, 2022
- Plastic Surgery That Guarantees Beauty and Affordability With Mia Aesthetics - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Risks and Safety | American Society of Plastic ... - January 19th, 2022
- Global Body Fat Reduction Markets, 2021-2022 & Forecast to 2025 - Innovation of LipoContrast / Rising Social Acceptance of Aesthetic Procedures /... - January 19th, 2022
- 7 Best Compression Garments After Tummy Tuck (2021 Review) - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Recovery Timeline Period, Week 1, 2, 3, and 4 - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Photos | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - January 4th, 2022
- Atlanta Plastic - Buckhead Breast Implants, Tummy Tuck ... - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Preparation | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - January 4th, 2022
- Katie Prices son Harvey is treated to a pamper day as he enjoys a clean shave and says its so relax... - The Sun - January 4th, 2022
- Seriously: Laughter is good for your health and well-being J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - January 4th, 2022
- Mum-of-two, 39, dies after botched liposuction operation which left her with injuries like shed been in a... - The US Sun - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Cost: Mini Tummy Tuck Prices List 2021 - December 23rd, 2021
- Kerry Katona gets a 'brand new face' with procedure to remove fat and Botox - swiftheadline - Swift Digital news agency - December 23rd, 2021