If the Brazilian butt lift had a publicist, she'd be on Olivia Pope levels of greatness. The plastic surgery procedure, more commonly known as the BBL, has exploded in popularity in recent years for its ability to transform a flat backside into a curvier one, but the discourse surrounding its results and origin is only just beginning to heat up online.
Most recently, Willow Smith revealed in an episode of Red Table Talk that she almost succumbed to the pressure of having the surgery done in order to have an Instagram-perfect behind. "Let's be real. I considered getting the tiniest little bit," the singer shared. "But then I just got in the gym and got it anyway."
As America's attitude toward plastic surgery steadily improves, the BBL has become arguably one of the year's most popular procedures. In fact, according to a report from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, nearly 22,000 Brazilian butt lifts were performed in 2020 (down from 28,000 in 2019, likely because of the pandemic).
The procedure is also among the most deadly surgeries. If you're unfamiliar with the surgery trend, read ahead for a breakdown of what you should know before potentially getting one.
"Brazilian butt lift is a colloquial term used to describe gluteal augmentation with fat transfer," board-certified plastic surgeon Raja Mohan told POPSUGAR. In other words, it's a procedure that allows you take fat from one area of your body (the stomach, for instance) and add it to your butt.
During a BBL, "fat is removed or harvested from many areas of the body, most commonly the abdomen, lower back, and hips using liposuction techniques," Dr. Mohan said. The fat is then purified before being injected into the buttocks to increase the volume and improve the shape. This results in the "tiny waist-curvy behind" body type that you can now find on just about every corner of Instagram.
"The end result is to volumize the buttock and created a rounder, fuller shape while also narrowing the waist," Dr. Mohan said.
This, of course, depends on where you live and who you entrust to perform the surgery. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), "the average cost of buttock augmentation with fat grafting is $4,807."
One of the first things that makes someone a good candidate for a Brazilian butt lift, according to Dr. Mohan, is having enough fat in different areas of the body that can be removed through liposuction and inserted to the butt area. Additionally, if you're looking into getting one, you'll likely have to have a consultation with your doctor, who'll determine if your health is in good enough standing.
"Patients should be in good health and appropriate candidates to undergo a surgical procedure," Dr. Mohan said. "It is not recommended for smokers or active tobacco users, or for people who have excess skin laxity." This is because the excess skin may need to be removed before the BBL is performed. "Patients should seek out a board-certified plastic surgeon who ensures the highest level of safety before undergoing the procedure."
"BBLs are typically noted to have the highest risks and complications in the field of plastic surgery," board-certified plastic surgeon, Smita Ramanadham, said. To be more specific, Brazilian butt lifts have a death rate of one in 3,000, making it deadlier than any other plastic surgery.
"If BBLs are performed unsafely, they can have major or life threatening complications such as fat embolism," Dr. Mohan said. "Fat that is injected deeply into the buttock can travel through the venous system and clot the circulatory system." From there, the fat can travel to the heart and lungs and lead to death.
Other risks, according to Dr. Mohan, include "scarring, contour irregularities, infection, sensory changes, fat necrosis, bruising, hematoma, fluid collections, under correction, over correction, and skin necrosis." Because of this, it's important to make sure you're doing research ahead of time and seeking out a qualified surgeon to perform the procedure.
"The most effective and important way to minimize risks is to find a surgeon that is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery," Dr. Ramanadham said. "This is the only board specific to our field and should not be mistaken for other boards like the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, which typically do not include true plastic surgeons."
Read more here:
What Exactly Is a Brazilian Butt Lift and Why Is Everyone Talking About Them? - POPSUGAR
- Amy Schumer Is 'Trying to Be Healthy' After Hysterectomy, Liposuction: 'I Want to Feel Hot' - PEOPLE - May 13th, 2022
- Body Contouring Devices Market by Type (Skin Tightening and Resurfacing, Cellulite Treatment, Liposuction, Other), Application (Hospitals, Beauty... - May 13th, 2022
- Moms: didn't get what you hoped for on Mother's Day -- give this gift to YOU! - FOX 13 News Utah - May 13th, 2022
- Dr. Jennifer Berman is now offering the revolutionary laser liposuction, Beautifill - Digital Journal - May 13th, 2022
- AcelRx Pharma (ACRX) Reports Publication of Results from an Investigator-Initiated Trial on Sufentanil Sublingual Tablet (SST) Compared to Standard... - May 13th, 2022
- Aesthetic Devices Market Is Expected to Reach USD 28865.17 million and IS Grow At a CAGR of 10.30% andSize, Share, Trends, Growth, Treatment, Country,... - May 13th, 2022
- Surgeon Dr. Demetris Stavrou Offers Cosmetic, Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery in Cyprus, Malta, and Greece - Digital Journal - May 13th, 2022
- The Science of Breast Implants: Everything to Know About Your Implants' Gel, Fill and Shell - NewBeauty Magazine - May 13th, 2022
- Aesthetic Equipment Market: Rising incidences of obesity to drive the market - BioSpace - May 13th, 2022
- Drew Sidora Says Body Shaming From Real Housewives Of Atlanta Cast Led Her To Get Plastic Surgery - Reality Tea - May 13th, 2022
- Tummy tuck surgery, (Abdominoplasty) | Nuffield Health - April 30th, 2022
- How Much Does Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Cost? (See ... - April 30th, 2022
- Aesthetic Devices Market Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Is Expected to Reach USD 28865.17 million and IS Grow At a CAGR of 10.30% during the forecast... - April 30th, 2022
- Woman Gets Hole in Her Belly After Gotten Infected with Very Serious Flesh-Eating Disease - Nature World News - April 30th, 2022
- The women getting cosmetic procedures in secret - Dazed - April 30th, 2022
- Indiana Mother Dies After BBL & Tummy Tuck Surgery In Dominican Republic - The Shade Room - April 30th, 2022
- Liposuction Jars Market Size, Scope And Forecast | Anand Medicaids, Kohlberg, Medco Manufacturing, Human Med, Innovia Medical themobility.club -... - April 30th, 2022
- Global Tumescent Liposuction Market 2022 Industry Demand, Growth Opportunities, Future Trends, Key Players, and Forecast to 2028 Ripon College Days... - April 30th, 2022
- My only daughter died after cosmetic doctor sucked out 5 STONE of fat in a liposuction operation she fou... - The US Sun - April 30th, 2022
- Lipofilling procedure improves pain and function in finger osteoarthritis - EurekAlert - April 30th, 2022
- Anti-cellulite Care Products Market: 33% of Growth to Originate from Europe | By Product (Topical and Non-invasive) and Geography - Forecast to 2026 -... - April 30th, 2022
- You'll Never Guess the Second Most 'Cosmetic SurgeryObsessed' State - NewBeauty Magazine - April 30th, 2022
- Avenue Plastic Surgery wins the 2021 Readers Choice Award for Cosmetic Surgery - PR Web - April 30th, 2022
- To Botox or not to Botox? That is the question - The National - April 30th, 2022
- THE AESTHETIC SOCIETY RELEASES ANNUAL STATISTICS REVEALING SIGNIFICANT INCREASES IN FACE, BREAST and BODY IN 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 16th, 2022
- Reimagining How We Treat Acute Pain: A Narrative Review - Cureus - April 16th, 2022
- Vertex's Robust Pipeline is Ramping Up for Another Big Year - BioSpace - April 16th, 2022
- Mycobacterium abscessus infections linked to plastic surgeries performed in Paraguay - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today - April 16th, 2022
- Names in the News: People shaping the future of Lake Area business - American Press | American Press - American Press - April 16th, 2022
- Aesthetic Devices Market Is Expected to Reach USD 28865.17 million and IS Grow At a CAGR of 10.30% during the forecast period of 2022-2029 | Alma... - April 16th, 2022
- Body-modification addict 'Human Satan' has ears amputated to mark end of facemasks - Daily Record - April 16th, 2022
- The Welsh actors you may recognise from your favourite Netflix and TV shows - Wales Online - April 16th, 2022
- Medical spas are seeing a boost in beauty procedures as people emerge from two pandemic years at home - CNBC - April 16th, 2022
- Ireland Baldwin Shares Selfies After Getting a 'FaceTite' a Type of Liposuction on Her Chin - PEOPLE - April 16th, 2022
- Doctor Reacts to Very Strange Addictions | MedPage Today - Medpage Today - April 16th, 2022
- Ask the Doctors: Cryolipolysis is the process of freezing fat - Frederick News Post - April 16th, 2022
- All Katie Price's Plastic Surgeries Explored with Before and After Pictures - TheTealMango - April 16th, 2022
- Dolly Parton's Skincare Tip That Keeps Her From Experiencing 'Problems That Women My Age Do' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - April 16th, 2022
- No, The Curvy Latina Ideal Isnt Healthier than Other Beauty Standards - Refinery29 - April 4th, 2022
- I got a tummy tuck so my husband would find me more attractive he cheated anyway but now Im happier on m... - The US Sun - April 4th, 2022
- Amy Schumer wants to 'be real' about her liposuction ... - April 4th, 2022
- Liposuction Cost | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - April 4th, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About Arm Liposuction - News Anyway - April 4th, 2022
- Mob Wives star Renee Graziano gives shocking glimpse into her liposuction & skin tightening surgery with... - The US Sun - April 4th, 2022
- Mom, 47, dies after liposuction op in Mexico that left her with brain damage & having to be resuscitated... - The US Sun - April 4th, 2022
- Plastic Surgeon NJ | Best Plastic Surgeon New Jersey - Dr ... - April 4th, 2022
- Home Page: Clinics in Plastic Surgery - April 4th, 2022
- What is a 'mommy makeover'? Plastic surgeons explain the popular trend - Yahoo Life - April 4th, 2022
- Vertex Announces Statistically Significant and Clinically Meaningful Results From Two Phase 2 Proof-of-Concept Studies of VX-548 for the Treatment of... - April 4th, 2022
- Findings From Queen's University Belfast Advance Knowledge In Bariatric Surgery (Sociodemographic Characteristics Of Patients And Their Use Of... - April 4th, 2022
- My USP is to provide aesthetic yet natural-looking results: Dr Rajat Gupta - The Sunday Guardian Live - The Sunday Guardian - April 4th, 2022
- Heron Therapeutics: Cash Is A Problem Again - Seeking Alpha - April 4th, 2022
- Abdominoplasty - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - March 23rd, 2022
- Abdominoplasty Overview: Cost, Recovery, Before & After ... - March 23rd, 2022
- Body Fat Reduction Market to cross $17 Billion by 2028, Says Global Market Insights Inc. - PR Newswire UK - March 23rd, 2022
- Vertex: More Opportunities Ahead - Seeking Alpha - March 23rd, 2022
- Maia Plastic Surgery is Excited to Announce the Acquisition of the New, Revolutionary Emsculpt NEO machine - Yahoo Finance - March 23rd, 2022
- Body image issues affect close to 40% of men but many dont get the support they need - The Conversation - March 23rd, 2022
- Liposuction Can Produce Great Outcomes for People Like Amy Schumer but VASER Liposculpting is the Gold St - Benzinga - March 23rd, 2022
- Liposuction Machine Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth Opportunities, Future Trends, Covid-19 Impact, SWOT Analysis, Competition... - March 23rd, 2022
- Whats Inside Everyone Wins Nominees Gift Bag: From Liposuction Treatments to Scottish Castle Stay - Hollywood Reporter - March 23rd, 2022
- Everything Amy Schumer Has Said About Her Decision to Get Liposuction After Giving Birth - Us Weekly - March 23rd, 2022
- Danielle Lloyd is not ashamed of having OnlyFans as it helps feed the kids - FOX 28 Spokane - March 23rd, 2022
- Signs You Have Acid Reflux, According to Physicians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - March 23rd, 2022
- Panniculectomy Vs Tummy Tuck | What Is A Panniculectomy? - March 23rd, 2022
- Dr. Ivan Puah Highlights The Significant Impact Of Covid That Changes Our Priority In Life - Benzinga - Benzinga - January 19th, 2022
- New Year's weight loss resolution might put you at risk of falling for a scam | Better Business Bureau - Commercial Appeal - January 19th, 2022
- Plastic Surgery That Guarantees Beauty and Affordability With Mia Aesthetics - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Risks and Safety | American Society of Plastic ... - January 19th, 2022
- Global Body Fat Reduction Markets, 2021-2022 & Forecast to 2025 - Innovation of LipoContrast / Rising Social Acceptance of Aesthetic Procedures /... - January 19th, 2022
- 7 Best Compression Garments After Tummy Tuck (2021 Review) - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Recovery Timeline Period, Week 1, 2, 3, and 4 - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Photos | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - January 4th, 2022
- Atlanta Plastic - Buckhead Breast Implants, Tummy Tuck ... - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Preparation | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - January 4th, 2022
- Katie Prices son Harvey is treated to a pamper day as he enjoys a clean shave and says its so relax... - The Sun - January 4th, 2022
- Seriously: Laughter is good for your health and well-being J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - January 4th, 2022
- Mum-of-two, 39, dies after botched liposuction operation which left her with injuries like shed been in a... - The US Sun - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Cost: Mini Tummy Tuck Prices List 2021 - December 23rd, 2021
- Kerry Katona gets a 'brand new face' with procedure to remove fat and Botox - swiftheadline - Swift Digital news agency - December 23rd, 2021