A 50-year-old woman has a heart attack and is brought to the hospital. While in the operating room, she has a near-death experience and sees God.
Is my time up? she asks God.
God replies, No, you have another 47 years, three months and five days to live.
Upon recovery, the woman decides to stay in the hospital and have a face-lift, liposuction, breast implants and tummy tuck. She even has someone come in to change her hair color and whiten her teeth. Since she has so much more time to live, she figures she might as well make the most of it. After being released from the hospital and crossing the street on her way home, she gets hit by a bus and dies.
What was that?! she asks God.
What? responded God. You died.
You said I would live another 47 years! she replies.
God thinks for a second. Oh! he says. I didnt recognize you!
The clich that laughter is the best medicine has its roots in Proverbs: A merry heart does good like a medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones. Henri de Mondeville, a professor of surgery in the 1300s, saw the benefits of humor during peoples recovery from operations. Norman Cousins, a professor of mine who taught medical humanities at UCLA Medical School, promoted laughter as a key component of good health and healing.
What is the bodys response to laughter? When a person laughs there is a transient rise in blood pressure and heart rate, followed by deep breathing and increased oxygen uptake. As a more relaxed state develops, endorphins rise, the dopamine reward system in the brain is activated, and cortisol (the stress hormone) drops.
A review of the healing benefits of humor and laughter can be found in a publication from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. More than two dozen benefits are described. Among the highlights:
Laughter helps the immune system by raising immunoglobulin levels and increasing the natural activity of killer cells, which contain particles that can kill tumor cells or virus-infected cells. (Dont assume laughter will substitute for getting your Covid vaccines, though.)
Laughter increases pain tolerance, and it can improve well-being in cancer patients.
Laughter can delay cardiovascular complications from diabetes. In patients undergoing cardiac rehabilitation, the propensity to laugh was correlated with fewer heart-rhythm problems and lower risk of another heart attack.
Laughter can help with weight loss, too! Ten to 15 minutes of laughter per day may burn 10 to 40 extra calories.
Laughter improves mood. For those with depression and anxiety, laughter can make you feel happier.
Ready for another joke? Patient: Doctor, I get heartburn every time I eat birthday cake. Doctor: Next time remove the candles.
Laughter improves the quality of our lives by helping us to connect with other people. Careful listening is required to joke with family, friends and strangers. As long as one is not laughing at the expense of someone else, a spot-on joke conveys unique understanding and empathy.
Of course, Jews have found laughter to be an effective way of coping with difficult situations and dealing with adversity. Some point to that as a factor behind the success of many Jewish comedians, particularly in the Borscht Belt days.
The physician and comedian Patch Adams once remarked that children laugh 400 times a day and adults only 17 times per day. Maybe because laughter can be infectious, I certainly laugh more when Im around my granddaughters.
Here are some other ways to enhance your day with humor if you dont have grandchildren nearby: Read comics or a lighthearted novel, watch a sitcom, listen to funny podcasts or take in a comedy act. Consider laughter yoga, in which people practice laughter as a group. (In fact, the JCC of San Francisco has a Zoom class called, quite simply, Laughter Yoga, scheduled for Jan. 18. For details, visit jccsf.org/event/laughter-yoga.) Or simply give yourself permission to laugh more frequently.
Now heres a parting joke for you: A girls parents bring her to the pediatricians office. The girl has a stick of celery up her nose, a banana in one ear and a carrot in the other ear. The doctor admonishes her, Youre not eating properly!
Whatever your circumstances might be, I hope that your days will be infused with laughter.
Read the original:
Seriously: Laughter is good for your health and well-being J. - The Jewish News of Northern California
- Amy Schumer Is 'Trying to Be Healthy' After Hysterectomy, Liposuction: 'I Want to Feel Hot' - PEOPLE - May 13th, 2022
- Body Contouring Devices Market by Type (Skin Tightening and Resurfacing, Cellulite Treatment, Liposuction, Other), Application (Hospitals, Beauty... - May 13th, 2022
- Moms: didn't get what you hoped for on Mother's Day -- give this gift to YOU! - FOX 13 News Utah - May 13th, 2022
- Dr. Jennifer Berman is now offering the revolutionary laser liposuction, Beautifill - Digital Journal - May 13th, 2022
- AcelRx Pharma (ACRX) Reports Publication of Results from an Investigator-Initiated Trial on Sufentanil Sublingual Tablet (SST) Compared to Standard... - May 13th, 2022
- Aesthetic Devices Market Is Expected to Reach USD 28865.17 million and IS Grow At a CAGR of 10.30% andSize, Share, Trends, Growth, Treatment, Country,... - May 13th, 2022
- Surgeon Dr. Demetris Stavrou Offers Cosmetic, Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery in Cyprus, Malta, and Greece - Digital Journal - May 13th, 2022
- The Science of Breast Implants: Everything to Know About Your Implants' Gel, Fill and Shell - NewBeauty Magazine - May 13th, 2022
- Aesthetic Equipment Market: Rising incidences of obesity to drive the market - BioSpace - May 13th, 2022
- Drew Sidora Says Body Shaming From Real Housewives Of Atlanta Cast Led Her To Get Plastic Surgery - Reality Tea - May 13th, 2022
- Tummy tuck surgery, (Abdominoplasty) | Nuffield Health - April 30th, 2022
- How Much Does Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Cost? (See ... - April 30th, 2022
- Aesthetic Devices Market Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Is Expected to Reach USD 28865.17 million and IS Grow At a CAGR of 10.30% during the forecast... - April 30th, 2022
- Woman Gets Hole in Her Belly After Gotten Infected with Very Serious Flesh-Eating Disease - Nature World News - April 30th, 2022
- The women getting cosmetic procedures in secret - Dazed - April 30th, 2022
- Indiana Mother Dies After BBL & Tummy Tuck Surgery In Dominican Republic - The Shade Room - April 30th, 2022
- Liposuction Jars Market Size, Scope And Forecast | Anand Medicaids, Kohlberg, Medco Manufacturing, Human Med, Innovia Medical themobility.club -... - April 30th, 2022
- Global Tumescent Liposuction Market 2022 Industry Demand, Growth Opportunities, Future Trends, Key Players, and Forecast to 2028 Ripon College Days... - April 30th, 2022
- My only daughter died after cosmetic doctor sucked out 5 STONE of fat in a liposuction operation she fou... - The US Sun - April 30th, 2022
- Lipofilling procedure improves pain and function in finger osteoarthritis - EurekAlert - April 30th, 2022
- Anti-cellulite Care Products Market: 33% of Growth to Originate from Europe | By Product (Topical and Non-invasive) and Geography - Forecast to 2026 -... - April 30th, 2022
- You'll Never Guess the Second Most 'Cosmetic SurgeryObsessed' State - NewBeauty Magazine - April 30th, 2022
- Avenue Plastic Surgery wins the 2021 Readers Choice Award for Cosmetic Surgery - PR Web - April 30th, 2022
- To Botox or not to Botox? That is the question - The National - April 30th, 2022
- THE AESTHETIC SOCIETY RELEASES ANNUAL STATISTICS REVEALING SIGNIFICANT INCREASES IN FACE, BREAST and BODY IN 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 16th, 2022
- Reimagining How We Treat Acute Pain: A Narrative Review - Cureus - April 16th, 2022
- Vertex's Robust Pipeline is Ramping Up for Another Big Year - BioSpace - April 16th, 2022
- Mycobacterium abscessus infections linked to plastic surgeries performed in Paraguay - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today - April 16th, 2022
- Names in the News: People shaping the future of Lake Area business - American Press | American Press - American Press - April 16th, 2022
- Aesthetic Devices Market Is Expected to Reach USD 28865.17 million and IS Grow At a CAGR of 10.30% during the forecast period of 2022-2029 | Alma... - April 16th, 2022
- Body-modification addict 'Human Satan' has ears amputated to mark end of facemasks - Daily Record - April 16th, 2022
- The Welsh actors you may recognise from your favourite Netflix and TV shows - Wales Online - April 16th, 2022
- Medical spas are seeing a boost in beauty procedures as people emerge from two pandemic years at home - CNBC - April 16th, 2022
- Ireland Baldwin Shares Selfies After Getting a 'FaceTite' a Type of Liposuction on Her Chin - PEOPLE - April 16th, 2022
- Doctor Reacts to Very Strange Addictions | MedPage Today - Medpage Today - April 16th, 2022
- Ask the Doctors: Cryolipolysis is the process of freezing fat - Frederick News Post - April 16th, 2022
- All Katie Price's Plastic Surgeries Explored with Before and After Pictures - TheTealMango - April 16th, 2022
- Dolly Parton's Skincare Tip That Keeps Her From Experiencing 'Problems That Women My Age Do' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - April 16th, 2022
- No, The Curvy Latina Ideal Isnt Healthier than Other Beauty Standards - Refinery29 - April 4th, 2022
- I got a tummy tuck so my husband would find me more attractive he cheated anyway but now Im happier on m... - The US Sun - April 4th, 2022
- Amy Schumer wants to 'be real' about her liposuction ... - April 4th, 2022
- Liposuction Cost | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - April 4th, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About Arm Liposuction - News Anyway - April 4th, 2022
- Mob Wives star Renee Graziano gives shocking glimpse into her liposuction & skin tightening surgery with... - The US Sun - April 4th, 2022
- Mom, 47, dies after liposuction op in Mexico that left her with brain damage & having to be resuscitated... - The US Sun - April 4th, 2022
- Plastic Surgeon NJ | Best Plastic Surgeon New Jersey - Dr ... - April 4th, 2022
- Home Page: Clinics in Plastic Surgery - April 4th, 2022
- What is a 'mommy makeover'? Plastic surgeons explain the popular trend - Yahoo Life - April 4th, 2022
- Vertex Announces Statistically Significant and Clinically Meaningful Results From Two Phase 2 Proof-of-Concept Studies of VX-548 for the Treatment of... - April 4th, 2022
- Findings From Queen's University Belfast Advance Knowledge In Bariatric Surgery (Sociodemographic Characteristics Of Patients And Their Use Of... - April 4th, 2022
- My USP is to provide aesthetic yet natural-looking results: Dr Rajat Gupta - The Sunday Guardian Live - The Sunday Guardian - April 4th, 2022
- Heron Therapeutics: Cash Is A Problem Again - Seeking Alpha - April 4th, 2022
- Abdominoplasty - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - March 23rd, 2022
- Abdominoplasty Overview: Cost, Recovery, Before & After ... - March 23rd, 2022
- Body Fat Reduction Market to cross $17 Billion by 2028, Says Global Market Insights Inc. - PR Newswire UK - March 23rd, 2022
- Vertex: More Opportunities Ahead - Seeking Alpha - March 23rd, 2022
- Maia Plastic Surgery is Excited to Announce the Acquisition of the New, Revolutionary Emsculpt NEO machine - Yahoo Finance - March 23rd, 2022
- Body image issues affect close to 40% of men but many dont get the support they need - The Conversation - March 23rd, 2022
- Liposuction Can Produce Great Outcomes for People Like Amy Schumer but VASER Liposculpting is the Gold St - Benzinga - March 23rd, 2022
- Liposuction Machine Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth Opportunities, Future Trends, Covid-19 Impact, SWOT Analysis, Competition... - March 23rd, 2022
- Whats Inside Everyone Wins Nominees Gift Bag: From Liposuction Treatments to Scottish Castle Stay - Hollywood Reporter - March 23rd, 2022
- Everything Amy Schumer Has Said About Her Decision to Get Liposuction After Giving Birth - Us Weekly - March 23rd, 2022
- Danielle Lloyd is not ashamed of having OnlyFans as it helps feed the kids - FOX 28 Spokane - March 23rd, 2022
- Signs You Have Acid Reflux, According to Physicians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - March 23rd, 2022
- Panniculectomy Vs Tummy Tuck | What Is A Panniculectomy? - March 23rd, 2022
- Dr. Ivan Puah Highlights The Significant Impact Of Covid That Changes Our Priority In Life - Benzinga - Benzinga - January 19th, 2022
- New Year's weight loss resolution might put you at risk of falling for a scam | Better Business Bureau - Commercial Appeal - January 19th, 2022
- Plastic Surgery That Guarantees Beauty and Affordability With Mia Aesthetics - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Risks and Safety | American Society of Plastic ... - January 19th, 2022
- Global Body Fat Reduction Markets, 2021-2022 & Forecast to 2025 - Innovation of LipoContrast / Rising Social Acceptance of Aesthetic Procedures /... - January 19th, 2022
- 7 Best Compression Garments After Tummy Tuck (2021 Review) - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Recovery Timeline Period, Week 1, 2, 3, and 4 - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Photos | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - January 4th, 2022
- Atlanta Plastic - Buckhead Breast Implants, Tummy Tuck ... - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Preparation | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - January 4th, 2022
- Katie Prices son Harvey is treated to a pamper day as he enjoys a clean shave and says its so relax... - The Sun - January 4th, 2022
- Mum-of-two, 39, dies after botched liposuction operation which left her with injuries like shed been in a... - The US Sun - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Cost: Mini Tummy Tuck Prices List 2021 - December 23rd, 2021
- Kerry Katona gets a 'brand new face' with procedure to remove fat and Botox - swiftheadline - Swift Digital news agency - December 23rd, 2021
- Rappers Offset & Big Daddy Kane Ran Into Each Other At The LIQUOR STORE - News Nation USA - December 23rd, 2021