Chameleon supermodel Linda Evangelista, whose career has been a work of art, has been brutally disfigured. She disclosed that Coolsculpting is the culprit. This modality uses cold temperatures to freeze and destroy subcutaneous fat cells in attempts to sculpt fat deposits that are diet-and-exercise-resistant. Ms. Evangelista says she is unrecognizable, emotionally devastated, and her livelihood was destroyed.
After this heartbreaking announcement against a procedure doctors and a device company profit from, top publications generated articles in reaction. In some articles, plastic surgery experts give their spin. But who are the people that seem to be doing reconnaissance for their field? Due to the M.D. after their name, they are folks who get away with normalizing unscientific and risky procedures that remove or destroy fat.
Scientists have classified fat as an important endocrine organ.When liposuction, an invasive procedure, was introduced to the U.S., the cosmetic aspect of fat was targeted; the systemic health impact was ignored.Liposuction, nowpart of many procedures such as breast reconstruction, leaves the patient with fewer fat cells than nature gave them.
We now know fat has a host of positive functions.Subcutaneous fat, (SubQ fat), the fat you can pinch,secretes hormones that play a beneficial role in metabolism and homeostasis.In numerous animal studies scientists consistently observe that removal of fat from one part of the body subsequently increases fat depots in other parts of the body.
In 2011, a well-done study on humans conducted at the University of Colorado, Denver confirmed that weight redistribution shows up in 100% of the study participants.The phenomenon thatcauses remaining fat cells to increase in size after liposuction produces an increase in disease-producing visceral fat, regardless of diet and exercise.
Doctors have an affirmative duty to keep up with their field. Why would a doctor risk a persons life and well being to remove part of a healthy organ? Is this medicine now?
As a patient safety educator, when I read medical expert, in an article, I do an online search. I look forcomplaints, (i.e.Dr. John Doe, complaints),notreviews, because some doctors pay for online reputation management to display good write-ups first, whether they are truthful or bought. Reviews may be hidden in anot currently recommendedtype-status; perhaps the doctor has threatened the consumer with a lawsuit to take their honest review down. To save time, I click the option to show the lowest ratings first.
I also look up the doctors lawsuits, which may be found on court or other sites for a small fee; lawsuits may be under a doctors DBA or facility name. Most medical malpractice lawsuits dont even get to court due to tort reform and corruption in the field.
When searching plastic or cosmetic surgeons, if I dont find reviews about ruined bodies and assertions of cover-ups, I likely havent searched hard enough. Patient reviews, medical board records, TV shows, upscale ambulatory centers, doctor referrals, or walls of medical degrees and ribbons from the Mayor do not guarantee a doctors expertise or ethics. Institutionalized abuse of power andThe White Coat Wall of Silenceprevails.
Harmed or surviving parties might be pressured to sign a non-disclosure agreement like the oneLinda Evangelista said Zeltiq asked her to sign before covering the cost for liposuction surgery, which was their suggested fix. Ms. Evangelista refused to sign the gag and paid for the surgeries herself. The liposuction did not help.
Back in 2013 on a plastic surgery website, numerous consumers left negative reviews or comments aboutCoolsculpting. In one review a man explains he suffers from Paradoxical Adipose Hyperplasia. He stated that Zeltiq recommended liposuction to fix it. He got liposuction, which not only did not help, but also made him worse.
Often authors of a study sit on the Medical Advisory Board that makes a medical device. It's not surprising they might claim adverse effects are very rare occurrences. There are no comprehensive longitudinal and latitudinal studies observing effects of fat destruction or removal, however afflicted consumers leave desperate reviews by the 1000s.
Consumers continue to be misled, while experts persist in spinning adverse effects of liposuction et al. as rare, even when scienceshows differently. Then, recall, victims are often gagged, shamed, blamed, or threatened into silence.
Part of the FDAs mission is to clear only safe and effective medical devices. The FDA site stated,Make sure you are willing to take the risks of undergoing liposuction for its benefits,however, they do not share the true risks and outcomes. Additionally, one must wonder, Who are the FDA influencers - harmed consumers or device companies?
TheHill newspaper in Washington D.C. ran an article by Tim Devaney on June 2, 2014 titledFDA loosens rules on cosmetic surgery devices. It reads:
The Food and Drug Administration is loosening the restrictions on certain cosmetic surgery devices.Powered surgical instruments that re used to reduce the appearance of cellulite's depressions and dimples from people's bodies will no longer require premarket approval under new rules from the FDA."FDA determined that the device can be classified into class II with theestablishmentof special controls, inadditionto general controls, will provide reasonable assurance of the safety and effectiveness of the device." These cosmetic surgery devices cut away at subcutaneous fat below the skin to improve the appearance of cellulite.Cabochon Aesthetics, a manufacturer of such a device, petitioned the FDA to relax the rules in 2011.The new rules go into effect in 30 days.
Reasonable assurance of the safety and effectiveness of the device,says the FDA. Well, scientists prove bad effects from cutting away SubQ fat, and despairing client reviews abound that describe fat tissue deformities, increase in visceral fat, disability, skin adherence to muscle, and much more harm sustained as a result of liposuction.
In a sea of bad reviews, one young woman on a plastic surgery site wrote thata plastic surgeon operated against consent and suctioned below her buttock crease to "define" it, which made her butt drop, long, square, and flat and her stomach is left with dimples and lumps. The surgeon deformed her legs; she has missing parts all over. She was skinny with no fat to transfer, and shes desperate.
A doctor, an M.D., FAAD, FACMS, who engages on the site responded,I am so sorry about your results. I see this in my practice at least 1 case per week.
At least one case per week; you see, doctors are aware of the epidemic harm caused by liposuction and fat altering procedures. It goes beyond negligence, a botched job, or just a few bad doctors. The preventable iatrogenic harm plastic and cosmetic doctors cause to healthy people is intentional, knowing, ignorant, and immoral. Doctors often put people unconscious and violate functional bodies into deformed, disabled, diseased, or dead ones. They misuse wealth and privilege to exert depraved carteblanche over the public.
Lawyers say:board certifiedplastic surgeons devastate lives all the time,surgeons hide their bad reviews,plastic surgeons cover for each other,judges and juries are biased, and the cases arent financially worth it to them due to tort reform and other reasons.
Medically harmed consumers find no help or recourse. There are no surgical assault or medical scam hotlines. State agencies, doctors boards, legislators, insurance companies, the media, and more parrot these dead ends:Go to the medical board, get a lawyer, contact your legislator and change the laws.But nothing and no one helps.
In September 2021, CBS National News Correspondent Jim Axelrod interviewed TJ Watkins, a public member of the Medical Board of California. Mr. Watkinsexplained that the medical board always speaks with doctor care in mind.You never hear patient care, ever. And I mean ever.He made clear that without a question, the way the medical board functions in the state of California costs patient lives.
Jim Axelrod also interviewed former CA Senator Jerry Hill. Senator Hill said theCalifornia Medical Association (CMA) is one of the most powerful special interests we have in California.They are masters at getting what they want from any legislation.The Senator explained that the CMA has the ability to bring money to the table, to bring support, which all factors into their ability to control the medical board, and control legislation going forward. The CMA fought Hill on thePatients Right to Know Act.
After years of effort, Jerry Hills bill finally got passed, albeit watered down.Californias Patients Right to Know Actof 2018(SB1448)requires that patients be informed when their doctor has been placed on administrative probation for any of the following misconduct: Drug or alcohol abuse that results in harm to patients or when the use impairs the ability of the licensee to safely practice medicine.
What consumers do not know is the Medical Board of California throws out valid cases of surgical assault, wrongful death, and more, and many dangerous doctors never even get so much as probation; the FDA is petitioned and influenced by medical device companies; liposuction is a roulette for healthy people and causes negative effects based on the biology of fat. Antiquated tort reform such as the Medical Injury Compensation Reform Act make it so lawyers dont find medical malpractice cases worth their time.
Who are plastic and cosmetic surgery experts? They may be doctors who ignore science, remove useful parts of a body, do not keep up their field, make money ruining or attempting to fix one person after another, mostly women. Some lie in court for money and to protect one another. Their medical boards are powerful lobbyists who protect doctors, not consumers. This puts everyone at risk, and induces abuse against women.
(Sasha Lauren, author ofThe Paris Predicament, a novel, and founder of Epiphany Scripts, is a patient safety educator, researcher and activist and CityWatch contributor. She writes about the poorly regulated medical field, bad medical practices, and medical harm.As a licensed massage therapist, she gave over 30,000 hours of therapeutic massage and taught massage, relaxation, and behavioral health skills.Her approach is holistic and preventative. (The information presented in this article is not for personal medical advice or instruction.)
Follow this link:
Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery 'Experts': Can We Really Trust Them? - City Watch
- Amy Schumer Is 'Trying to Be Healthy' After Hysterectomy, Liposuction: 'I Want to Feel Hot' - PEOPLE - May 13th, 2022
- Body Contouring Devices Market by Type (Skin Tightening and Resurfacing, Cellulite Treatment, Liposuction, Other), Application (Hospitals, Beauty... - May 13th, 2022
- Moms: didn't get what you hoped for on Mother's Day -- give this gift to YOU! - FOX 13 News Utah - May 13th, 2022
- Dr. Jennifer Berman is now offering the revolutionary laser liposuction, Beautifill - Digital Journal - May 13th, 2022
- AcelRx Pharma (ACRX) Reports Publication of Results from an Investigator-Initiated Trial on Sufentanil Sublingual Tablet (SST) Compared to Standard... - May 13th, 2022
- Aesthetic Devices Market Is Expected to Reach USD 28865.17 million and IS Grow At a CAGR of 10.30% andSize, Share, Trends, Growth, Treatment, Country,... - May 13th, 2022
- Surgeon Dr. Demetris Stavrou Offers Cosmetic, Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery in Cyprus, Malta, and Greece - Digital Journal - May 13th, 2022
- The Science of Breast Implants: Everything to Know About Your Implants' Gel, Fill and Shell - NewBeauty Magazine - May 13th, 2022
- Aesthetic Equipment Market: Rising incidences of obesity to drive the market - BioSpace - May 13th, 2022
- Drew Sidora Says Body Shaming From Real Housewives Of Atlanta Cast Led Her To Get Plastic Surgery - Reality Tea - May 13th, 2022
- Tummy tuck surgery, (Abdominoplasty) | Nuffield Health - April 30th, 2022
- How Much Does Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Cost? (See ... - April 30th, 2022
- Aesthetic Devices Market Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Is Expected to Reach USD 28865.17 million and IS Grow At a CAGR of 10.30% during the forecast... - April 30th, 2022
- Woman Gets Hole in Her Belly After Gotten Infected with Very Serious Flesh-Eating Disease - Nature World News - April 30th, 2022
- The women getting cosmetic procedures in secret - Dazed - April 30th, 2022
- Indiana Mother Dies After BBL & Tummy Tuck Surgery In Dominican Republic - The Shade Room - April 30th, 2022
- Liposuction Jars Market Size, Scope And Forecast | Anand Medicaids, Kohlberg, Medco Manufacturing, Human Med, Innovia Medical themobility.club -... - April 30th, 2022
- Global Tumescent Liposuction Market 2022 Industry Demand, Growth Opportunities, Future Trends, Key Players, and Forecast to 2028 Ripon College Days... - April 30th, 2022
- My only daughter died after cosmetic doctor sucked out 5 STONE of fat in a liposuction operation she fou... - The US Sun - April 30th, 2022
- Lipofilling procedure improves pain and function in finger osteoarthritis - EurekAlert - April 30th, 2022
- Anti-cellulite Care Products Market: 33% of Growth to Originate from Europe | By Product (Topical and Non-invasive) and Geography - Forecast to 2026 -... - April 30th, 2022
- You'll Never Guess the Second Most 'Cosmetic SurgeryObsessed' State - NewBeauty Magazine - April 30th, 2022
- Avenue Plastic Surgery wins the 2021 Readers Choice Award for Cosmetic Surgery - PR Web - April 30th, 2022
- To Botox or not to Botox? That is the question - The National - April 30th, 2022
- THE AESTHETIC SOCIETY RELEASES ANNUAL STATISTICS REVEALING SIGNIFICANT INCREASES IN FACE, BREAST and BODY IN 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 16th, 2022
- Reimagining How We Treat Acute Pain: A Narrative Review - Cureus - April 16th, 2022
- Vertex's Robust Pipeline is Ramping Up for Another Big Year - BioSpace - April 16th, 2022
- Mycobacterium abscessus infections linked to plastic surgeries performed in Paraguay - Outbreak News Today - Outbreak News Today - April 16th, 2022
- Names in the News: People shaping the future of Lake Area business - American Press | American Press - American Press - April 16th, 2022
- Aesthetic Devices Market Is Expected to Reach USD 28865.17 million and IS Grow At a CAGR of 10.30% during the forecast period of 2022-2029 | Alma... - April 16th, 2022
- Body-modification addict 'Human Satan' has ears amputated to mark end of facemasks - Daily Record - April 16th, 2022
- The Welsh actors you may recognise from your favourite Netflix and TV shows - Wales Online - April 16th, 2022
- Medical spas are seeing a boost in beauty procedures as people emerge from two pandemic years at home - CNBC - April 16th, 2022
- Ireland Baldwin Shares Selfies After Getting a 'FaceTite' a Type of Liposuction on Her Chin - PEOPLE - April 16th, 2022
- Doctor Reacts to Very Strange Addictions | MedPage Today - Medpage Today - April 16th, 2022
- Ask the Doctors: Cryolipolysis is the process of freezing fat - Frederick News Post - April 16th, 2022
- All Katie Price's Plastic Surgeries Explored with Before and After Pictures - TheTealMango - April 16th, 2022
- Dolly Parton's Skincare Tip That Keeps Her From Experiencing 'Problems That Women My Age Do' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - April 16th, 2022
- No, The Curvy Latina Ideal Isnt Healthier than Other Beauty Standards - Refinery29 - April 4th, 2022
- I got a tummy tuck so my husband would find me more attractive he cheated anyway but now Im happier on m... - The US Sun - April 4th, 2022
- Amy Schumer wants to 'be real' about her liposuction ... - April 4th, 2022
- Liposuction Cost | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - April 4th, 2022
- Everything You Need To Know About Arm Liposuction - News Anyway - April 4th, 2022
- Mob Wives star Renee Graziano gives shocking glimpse into her liposuction & skin tightening surgery with... - The US Sun - April 4th, 2022
- Mom, 47, dies after liposuction op in Mexico that left her with brain damage & having to be resuscitated... - The US Sun - April 4th, 2022
- Plastic Surgeon NJ | Best Plastic Surgeon New Jersey - Dr ... - April 4th, 2022
- Home Page: Clinics in Plastic Surgery - April 4th, 2022
- What is a 'mommy makeover'? Plastic surgeons explain the popular trend - Yahoo Life - April 4th, 2022
- Vertex Announces Statistically Significant and Clinically Meaningful Results From Two Phase 2 Proof-of-Concept Studies of VX-548 for the Treatment of... - April 4th, 2022
- Findings From Queen's University Belfast Advance Knowledge In Bariatric Surgery (Sociodemographic Characteristics Of Patients And Their Use Of... - April 4th, 2022
- My USP is to provide aesthetic yet natural-looking results: Dr Rajat Gupta - The Sunday Guardian Live - The Sunday Guardian - April 4th, 2022
- Heron Therapeutics: Cash Is A Problem Again - Seeking Alpha - April 4th, 2022
- Abdominoplasty - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - March 23rd, 2022
- Abdominoplasty Overview: Cost, Recovery, Before & After ... - March 23rd, 2022
- Body Fat Reduction Market to cross $17 Billion by 2028, Says Global Market Insights Inc. - PR Newswire UK - March 23rd, 2022
- Vertex: More Opportunities Ahead - Seeking Alpha - March 23rd, 2022
- Maia Plastic Surgery is Excited to Announce the Acquisition of the New, Revolutionary Emsculpt NEO machine - Yahoo Finance - March 23rd, 2022
- Body image issues affect close to 40% of men but many dont get the support they need - The Conversation - March 23rd, 2022
- Liposuction Can Produce Great Outcomes for People Like Amy Schumer but VASER Liposculpting is the Gold St - Benzinga - March 23rd, 2022
- Liposuction Machine Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth Opportunities, Future Trends, Covid-19 Impact, SWOT Analysis, Competition... - March 23rd, 2022
- Whats Inside Everyone Wins Nominees Gift Bag: From Liposuction Treatments to Scottish Castle Stay - Hollywood Reporter - March 23rd, 2022
- Everything Amy Schumer Has Said About Her Decision to Get Liposuction After Giving Birth - Us Weekly - March 23rd, 2022
- Danielle Lloyd is not ashamed of having OnlyFans as it helps feed the kids - FOX 28 Spokane - March 23rd, 2022
- Signs You Have Acid Reflux, According to Physicians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - March 23rd, 2022
- Panniculectomy Vs Tummy Tuck | What Is A Panniculectomy? - March 23rd, 2022
- Dr. Ivan Puah Highlights The Significant Impact Of Covid That Changes Our Priority In Life - Benzinga - Benzinga - January 19th, 2022
- New Year's weight loss resolution might put you at risk of falling for a scam | Better Business Bureau - Commercial Appeal - January 19th, 2022
- Plastic Surgery That Guarantees Beauty and Affordability With Mia Aesthetics - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Risks and Safety | American Society of Plastic ... - January 19th, 2022
- Global Body Fat Reduction Markets, 2021-2022 & Forecast to 2025 - Innovation of LipoContrast / Rising Social Acceptance of Aesthetic Procedures /... - January 19th, 2022
- 7 Best Compression Garments After Tummy Tuck (2021 Review) - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Recovery Timeline Period, Week 1, 2, 3, and 4 - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Photos | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - January 4th, 2022
- Atlanta Plastic - Buckhead Breast Implants, Tummy Tuck ... - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Preparation | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - January 4th, 2022
- Katie Prices son Harvey is treated to a pamper day as he enjoys a clean shave and says its so relax... - The Sun - January 4th, 2022
- Seriously: Laughter is good for your health and well-being J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - January 4th, 2022
- Mum-of-two, 39, dies after botched liposuction operation which left her with injuries like shed been in a... - The US Sun - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Cost: Mini Tummy Tuck Prices List 2021 - December 23rd, 2021
- Kerry Katona gets a 'brand new face' with procedure to remove fat and Botox - swiftheadline - Swift Digital news agency - December 23rd, 2021