Liposuction cosmetic surgery at La Jolla Cosmetic. Courtesy of the practice
As medical tourism, in which a person travels to another country for medical care, becomes more popular, its important to understand the pros and cons.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year millions of U.S. residents engage in medical tourism, traveling to Mexico and Canada, as well as Central America, South America, the Caribbean and the far East.
Medical tourism is widespread within the United States.People may travel from city to city, or state to state to find the right physician and facility that meets their medical needs. This kind of medical tourism can be very safe and achieve positive results.
But medical tourism outside of the United States is different. Some patients travel because of cultural preferences, seeking to be treated in their country of origin. Others may need a procedure or medication unavailable or not approved in the United States.The primary motivation, though, is cost. Many procedures, including those in my field of plastic surgery, may be cheaper in other countries. But anyone considering this option must understand the potential risk.
In the United States a plastic surgeon needs to follow the highest clinical standards. These standards do increase the cost of health care, but they also increase safety. When you see lower costs, you must ask yourself what elements of safety and recovery are not included.
Recently I took over the care of a woman from Pennsylvania who looked abroad for plastic surgery options. She found a physician in Mexico to perform her tummy-tuck. The woman underwent surgery the day after her arrival without any pre-operative protocols.
The attending physician and staff did not have full access to the patients history, which included susceptibility to resistant infections. So she received insufficient pre-operative antibiotics, and as a result suffered a severe infection that was not caught promptly. When it was diagnosed, the woman could not be treated at the facility that performed the operation. Instead, she was sent back to San Diego for emergency care.
After two weeks at the hospital, she returned to Pennsylvania for continued management of infection and wound care. She survived her complications but was left with permanent deformities of her body.
When complications do occur, the money saved quickly evaporates.A patients medical insurance rarely covers incidental expenses incurred in a country outside the United States. Medical tourism physicians may be reluctant to order expensive antibiotics and other medications, and the facility may not have access to a qualified recovery unit or hospital. Often, no family is present when severe complications occur.
Negative outcomes do not always happen with medical tourism, but they are avoidable in the first place.The missing component in medical tourism is standard of care.
In the United States we have the gold standard in terms of safety and regulations. When followed correctly, each patient is scheduled for a first visit so that they meet their doctor. Their discussion assures full understanding of the surgery, outlines what preparations the patient will need to take in advance, and addresses any concerns the patient may have.
The meeting is a precursor to obtaining a complete history of the patient. A full physical is performed, labs ordered, and health status determined. This is followed by a workup plan and assurances that all issues are addressed. Surgery takes place in a fully accredited facility with a board-certified anesthesiologist and board-certified plastic surgeons. Post-surgical recovery should include the attending surgeons participation to assure continuity of care.
Not all countries follow these standards. Many sacrifice health standards and safety to save money.When traveling to other countries time is limited. The CDC notes that complications depend on the destination, the facility where the procedure is being performed, and whether the patient is in good physical and psychological condition for the procedure.
Other issues that can increase the risk of complications include infectious disease. All medical procedures have some risk of complications, but those associated with procedures done in other countries can include wound, bloodstream and donor-derived infections, as well as diseases such as hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and HIV.
Antibiotic resistance is a real concern and a global problem. However, you are more likely to get an antibiotic-resistant infection outside the United States and not have access to the appropriate medications.
Quality of care differs significantly in some countries where requirements for maintaining licensure, credentialing, and accreditation may also be less than what would be required here. In some countries, counterfeit medicines and lower quality medical devices may be used.
Communicating with staff at the destination and healthcare facility may be challenging. Receiving care at a facility where you do not speak the language fluently could lead to misunderstandings about your treatment and care.
For people considering medical tourism, I recognize that excellent surgeons exist all over the globe. In the United States, though, we have the most advanced and regulated training for surgeons in the world.
For example, plastic surgeons in the United States are required to have six to nine years of training after they receive their medical degree. We are observed over years by a committee of peers before and after obtaining board certification. This is followed by acceptance into the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery for continued training and education.
The bottom line is if you are considering medical tourism as a cost-effective option for plastic surgery, consider a board-certified doctor in the United States first. Talk to your plastic surgeon, ask as many questions as you like and investigate his or her credentials as well as the accreditation of the surgical center where you will be operated. Then, you can compare all this information. Cost savings are never worth your health and well-being or even your life.
Dr. Hector Salazar-Reyes is a board-certified plastic surgeon with the La Jolla Cosmetic practice.
See the rest here:
Opinion: Cost Savings from Medical Tourism May Not Be Worth Risk - Times of San Diego
- Medical Aesthetics Market Report Highlights The Competitive Scenario With Impact Of Drivers And Challenges 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - September 1st, 2021
- Study Results Announced During Award-Winning Presentation on the Effect of Sufentanil Sublingual Tablet on Outpatient Plastic Surgery at the Annual... - September 1st, 2021
- Jr NTR guts: He talks about being obese in past.. - Tollywood - September 1st, 2021
- 'Nine Perfect Strangers': Samara Weaving's Perspective of Influencers Changed After Playing Jessica - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 1st, 2021
- Plastic surgeon with offices in Brea, Beverly Hills charged with sexually assaulting 2 patients - KTLA Los Angeles - September 1st, 2021
- 'RHOP': Candiace Dillard on Her Co-Stars Body-Shaming Wendy Osefo - 'They're Bored' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 1st, 2021
- Porsha Williams Shuts Down Plastic Surgery Rumors, Says Its Ok to Have a Fupa or Gut - Us Weekly - September 1st, 2021
- Marlo Hampton shows swelling of the eyes after receiving a hair transplant - Floridanewstimes.com - August 19th, 2021
- I had two Liposuction surgeries Tonto Dike reveals - Daily Post Nigeria - August 19th, 2021
- Katie Price savagely mocked by fiance Carl Woods as he tells her shes gone too far with plastic sur... - The US Sun - August 19th, 2021
- The Hills Heidi Montag undergoes surgery to help with conceiving her second child with husband Spencer P... - The US Sun - August 19th, 2021
- Katie Price and Carl Woods tease that countdown is on until wedding - Metro.co.uk - August 19th, 2021
- Teen Mom Bristol Palin shows off impressive abs in a sports bra & leggings weeks after showing off tummy... - The US Sun - August 19th, 2021
- Mum-of-four recalls horrific ordeal after tummy tuck procedure in Turkey goes horribly wrong - Sunday World - August 19th, 2021
- Detroit Native Becomes First Black Woman To Launch Weight Loss Supplement In The Vitamin Shoppe - BET - August 19th, 2021
- Teen Mom Bristol Palin reunites with ex Dakota Meyer and daughter Sailor, 5, while fans think theyre back... - The Sun - August 19th, 2021
- Ajaipal Kang, M.D.: What to know and do before having cosmetic surgery - GoErie.com - August 6th, 2021
- What is Donda?... - The US Sun - August 6th, 2021
- The Global Medical Aesthetics Market Continues To Grow Owing To the Rising Demand for Surgical Procedures Related To Better External Appearances,... - August 6th, 2021
- The BBL effect: How the Brazilian butt lift went mainstream - Vox.com - August 6th, 2021
- Chinese streaming star dies after botched liposuction leads to infection with flesh-eating bacteria - The Independent - July 22nd, 2021
- Learn how to remove unwanted fat with procedures beyond liposuction - ABC 4 - July 22nd, 2021
- 'Rogue ballerina' Georgina Pazcoguin on bullying, affairs and secret liposuction - The Times - July 22nd, 2021
- Chinese influencers death after liposuction highlights dangers of plastic surgery - SupChina - July 22nd, 2021
- Newsweek Names Dr. Brian Reedy One of America's Best Plastic Surgeons in 2021 | Around the Web-Pennsylvania - Pennsylvanianewstoday.com - July 22nd, 2021
- liposuction jars Market 2021, Scope and Price Analysis of Top Manufacturers Profiles The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 22nd, 2021
- Katie Price reveals close up look at her new face with no filter after surgery that left her fearing she... - The Sun - July 22nd, 2021
- Global Aesthetic Services Market to Reach $25 Billion by 2027 - Yahoo Finance - July 22nd, 2021
- Jackie Bracamontes showing off her slim figure in a bikini by the pool - Amico Hoops - July 22nd, 2021
- No Shame In Wanting To Look Younger - It Is Natural And You Might As Well Live Longer - Forbes - July 22nd, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker hit wedding rumors, increasing celebrity love news | Gallery - Texasnewstoday.com - July 22nd, 2021
- Dr. R. Brannon Claytor Named One of America's Best Plastic Surgeons of 2021 by Newsweek - The Wellsboro Gazette - July 22nd, 2021
- Medical Aesthetics Market Highly Favorable To The Growth Rate By 2026 Allergan, Alma Lasers, Ltd. (A Division of Sisram Medical Ltd.), Anika... - July 22nd, 2021
- Medical Aesthetics Market (2021 to 2026) Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast Allergan, Alma Lasers, Ltd. (A Division of... - July 22nd, 2021
- Menopause Belly: Causes, Solutions, and Prevention Tips - Healthline - July 22nd, 2021
- Who was Donda West? Kanye's mother inspires new album to be released this Friday - The National - July 22nd, 2021
- Dr. R. Brannon Claytor Named One of America's Best Plastic Surgeons of 2021 by Newsweek - WFMZ Allentown - July 22nd, 2021
- Constantine Cosmetic Surgery Recognized With Best Of State Statue - KPVI News 6 - July 22nd, 2021
- Big Plastic Surgery Increase from 2015 to 2019 Underscores Normalization of Aesthetic Enhancements, says Beverly Hills Physicians - WFMZ Allentown - July 22nd, 2021
- Europe Breast Reconstruction Market is Expected to Grow at 8.9% in the Forecast Period of 2021 to 20 - PharmiWeb.com - July 22nd, 2021
- Teen Mom Leah Messer shows off impressive abs in a tiny bikini during family vacation with daughters... - The US Sun - July 22nd, 2021
- Body Modification Addict Needs More Surgery After He Removed His Navel - Newsweek - July 22nd, 2021
- The Future of Breast Cancer Surgery Is Here - OncLive - July 7th, 2021
- The tattoo artist has made changes in protest and wants to slash his hand - Mediarun Search - July 7th, 2021
- Katie Price unrecognisable in shocking surgery pictures after Brazilian bum lift, liposuction, eye and lip... - The US Sun - July 7th, 2021
- Here's How You Can Hit Your Body Goals This Summer - FemaleFirst.co.uk - July 7th, 2021
- MAFS star Cathy Evans shocking leaking ordeal after $30,000 liposuction surgery and Brazilian butt lift - PerthNow - July 7th, 2021
- Teen Mom Jade Cline shares full body pics after getting liposuction on her neck and Brazilian butt lif... - The US Sun - July 7th, 2021
- 'RHONJ' star Jennifer Aydin shows off her nose job and chin implant - Page Six - July 7th, 2021
- Aesthetic Devices Market 2021 |Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2027 Rust Wire - Rust Wire - July 7th, 2021
- Get to know Mina Starsiak: Age, kids and Instagram of the HGTV star! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - July 7th, 2021
- Hydraulic Retarders Market Value Projected to Expand by 2027 Covid-19 Analysis Rust Wire - Rust Wire - July 7th, 2021
- Battery Torque Wrench Market is Anticipated to Record the Rapid Growth and Prominent Players Analysis Rust Wire - Rust Wire - July 7th, 2021
- Anti-Aging Therapies and Services Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2021 2028 The Courier - The Courier - June 26th, 2021
- Global Anti-Aging Therapies and Services Market with Covid 19 Analysis and Challenges On Upcoming Trends 2021-2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - June 26th, 2021
- Teen Mom Bristol Palin shares cryptic quote as fans speculate she rekindled romance with ex-husband Dakota... - The US Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Katie Price shares pics of swollen legs after liposuction surgery in Turkey - The Mirror - June 26th, 2021
- Negative-pressure Liposuction Market Size, Share 2021, Impressive Industry Growth Report 2027 The Courier - The Courier - June 26th, 2021
- Laser Assisted Liposuction Devices Market and Growth 2021 By Industry Analysis, and In-Depth Regional Research KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - June 26th, 2021
- 8 Things a Plastic Surgeon Wants You to Know About a 'Mommy Makeover' - NewBeauty Magazine - June 26th, 2021
- Katie Price trolled for leaving Harvey to get liposuction in Turkey - The News International - June 26th, 2021
- Global Liposuction Market 2021-2026 Financial Insights, Business Growth Strategies with Competitive Landscape | Top Brands: Alma Lasers, Invasix... - June 26th, 2021
- Striding ahead in turning back the clock: Non-invasive cosmetic treatments - The Jerusalem Post - June 26th, 2021
- Liposuction Surgery Devices market size to expand momentously over 2021-2026 - News By ReportsGO - June 26th, 2021
- Cosmetic surgeon faces legal action over operation on teenagers labia - The Age - June 26th, 2021
- Global Liposuction Device Market 2021 High Growth Prediction due to Increasing Demand and Future Trends | Top Brands: Solta Medical, Wells Johnson Co,... - June 26th, 2021
- Global Dermatology Devices Market 2020 Industry Insights, Top Trends, Key Players, Production Development , Application and Opportunities to 2027... - June 26th, 2021
- Global Anti-aging Market 2021 Growth Analysis, Opportunities, Trends, Developments and Forecast to 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - June 9th, 2021
- Teen Mom Jade Cline shows off her figure in a tight blue dress after star admits she got liposuction on... - The US Sun - June 9th, 2021
- Teen Mom Jade Cline admits she got liposuction on her NECK after fans think her face looks totally d... - The US Sun - June 9th, 2021
- SB Aesthetics Medical Spa Offers Non-Surgical Facial Fillers and Botox Procedure To Help Minimize The Signs Of Aging - Digital Journal - June 9th, 2021
- liposuction jars Market 2021, Scope and Price Analysis of Top Manufacturers Profiles The Courier - The Courier - June 9th, 2021
- Deirdre Rhoad, MD, a Plastic Surgeon with Rhoad to Beauty | YorkPedia - York Pedia - June 9th, 2021
- Cosmetic Surgery Market SWOT Analysis by Size, Status and Forecast to 2021-2027 The Shotcaller - The Shotcaller - June 9th, 2021
- Mum who tucked rolls of skin into her knickers after losing 9st says tummy tuck has changed her life - Grimsby Live - June 9th, 2021
- Bethesda-area plastic surgery has been on the rise during the pandemic - BethesdaMagazine.com - June 9th, 2021
- Kailyn Lowry Slammed by Fans Over Surgery - Heavy.com - June 9th, 2021
- Global Liposuction Surgery Devices Market 2021 Latest Insights, Covid 19 Impact analysis, Growth Rate, Future Trends and Forecast to 2026 | Reports... - May 29th, 2021
- Liposuction What Is It All About? Know the Basics - - VENTS Magazine - May 29th, 2021
- UAE Weight Loss Market Overview, Trends, Opportunities, Growth and Forecast by 2025 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 29th, 2021