The desire to look younger is natural
Like many other living organisms, humans are born, survive, compete for resources, reach maturity, reproduce, take care of their young, sometimes the young of their young, continuously decline, and die. Evolution needs us for just two purposes adapt and reproduce. But, unlike other species, humans are very conscious of their fate. Humans are very much aware that after reaching peak performance they will eventually grow old and die. We arevery conscious of our fate after reaching peak performance loss off function, frailty, and eventual loss of everything we worked so hard to earn.
We observe our parents, and other elderly around them, attend funerals, and understand that eventually we will get into this state. We are also very contempt with that fate as evolution made sure that. The more ambitious of us are trying to advance science, the rest seek refuge in religion, some in philosophy, some in accumulation of wealth, and some see the continuation of ourselves in our children. But despite the many technological advances transpiring in the laboratories all over the world, there is nothing we can do at this point to escape aging. There are diets, exercises, sleep, and supplements, but these provide very marginal benefits. We do not see 120+ old yoga and diet practitioners or marathon runners around. But these simple habits do help look younger longer. And many people that have very harmful habits like smoking but still diet and exercise to look younger.
Nature is also very unfair and sexist. The females lose reproductive capacity much faster then males. Most females enter menopause between 40 and 60. The average age of menopause in the US is 51. And it is very common to see the couples where the males are significantly older. And for this reason nature found its way to signal the reproductively active people that the older person is not someone they would like to copulate with. And there are many signals: graying hair, wrinkles, body composition, etc. There are few beauty contests for people over 25, and most fashion models become popular in their teenage years. Males can reproduce longer and often remain more attractive to younger females but the level of attractiveness is usually lower and often augmented by social and economic status. It also does seem like the younger women prefer older men more often then the other way around.
So looking younger is a natural desire just like it is natural to seek a younger spouse after a certain age. It is a desire to maintain reproductive viability.
And even though there are not that many aging processes that we can have any control of, the desire to look younger spurred a giant industry. Now it is technologically possible to shave a decade or even two off the way we look via cosmetic interventions, makeup, and surgery.
But whenever we see media images of older celebrities, particularly those who seem much younger than their actual age, the inevitable questions concerning whether "he/she had work done"" or snide remarks about too much botox/liposuction" are rarely far behind.
But why is there such a stigma about wanting to look younger?Despite all these often vicious remarks about cosmetic surgery and other attempts at looking young and attractive, it's not just celebrities who are doing this.While cosmetic surgery used to be reserved solely for the very rich, it is becoming much more affordable, and, not surprisingly, more people than ever are taking advantage.According to the 2019 Plastic Surgery Statistics report released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, more than eleven million surgical and nearly fourteen million non-surgical procedures took place worldwide last year, almost four million of those procedures in the United States alone.
Healthcare and medicine
While most cosmetic surgery patients are women,male patients are also becoming more common, and the demand for such services has steadily risen over the past decade.The primary market for women is routine procedures such as breast augmentation, rhinoplasty (nose reshaping), "tummy tucks," and dermabrasion.On the other hand,male patients are getting hair transplantation, breast reductions (or augmentation), calf and pectoral implants,penile extensions (where available), and various other improvements to make them look more masculine as well as attractive.Older clients are also getting procedures specifically intended to make them look younger and thinner, including facelifts, eyelid surgery, botox, and liposuction, to name a few highly demanded anti-aging procedures.
Cosmetic surgery has become such a growth industry that even a cursory Google search can direct would-be users to local clinics.Suppose the desired service is not available locally or cheaply. In that case, would-be customers can look into "medical tourism" involving other countries where they can get surgery and enjoy other travel perks, often in the form of all-expense-paid travel packages. Such medical tourism junkets have become a significant economic boost to otherwise economically disadvantaged countries, and the demand will undoubtedly rise as baby boomers grow older.
In many ways, though,this demand for cosmetic surgery is just the tip of the iceberg.While not everyone can afford (or are interested in) cosmetic surgery,the desire to look younger and healthier has sparked a vast anti-aging industry worldwide.Along with an astonishing number of books, videos, and courses available online offering advice on fighting the signs of age, more people than ever are seeking out various services offering the promise of looking younger and more desirable.That includes weight loss clinics, nutrition counselors, personal trainers, yoga instructors, and a host of other purveyors of youth and beauty.Many older adults seeking out these services seem to be driven by their fears about aging, not to mention unrealistic media representations about the human body (particularly the female body).
But other fears seem to be driving this need to look younger.Though laws banning age discrimination continue to pass in countries worldwide, many older adults feel compelled to hide visible signs of aging to avoid being thought of as "old." The need to look younger has sparked an entire movement surrounding the concept of "agelessness," particularly for women who are far more likely than men to be judged for their appearance.Not surprisingly, many celebrities, male and female alike, have lent their name to various anti-aging products of doubtful validity, all of which promise users the same "agelessness" they enjoy themselves (actress Suzanne Somers and her endorsement of bioidentical hormone replacement therapy, for example).
However, almost inevitably, we are now facing a backlash in the form of a "body positive" movement encouraging men, especially women, to reject what feminist researchers describe as the objectifying of physical appearance favoring a more "genuine" look.It also highlights the double standard that exists between older men and women. While older men can be considered competent regardless of their gray hair and wrinkles, recent research suggests that many women find themselves required to look younger to be accepted.Even those women who refrain from dying their hair to appear more authentic often use other beauty practices to look more youthful. Ironically, for women who choose to make themselves look younger, the most likely backlash they experience usually comes from other women rather than men, a finding recently supported by evolutionary psychology research.
But is there anything wrong with wanting to look younger and more desirable?Numerous studies show the link between perceived attractiveness, self-esteem, and subjective wellbeing.According to one study recently published in the Journal of Women and Aging, the same body dissatisfaction often seen in adolescent girls can also occur in many women as they grow older.An online survey of over three hundred women between the ages of forty-five and sixty-five found that women who were dissatisfied with their appearance and were afraid of growing older were especially prone to depression.They were also far more likely to resort to anti-aging regimens to make themselves look younger.
In another study published last year, researchers found a strong link between perceived self-attractiveness and life satisfaction in women from different age groups (825, 3045, and over 60).The study showed similar results for both overall perceived attractiveness and attractiveness of specific body parts.And people who look younger also feel younger, something that has enormous health benefits, particularly in helping people handle stress (including financial stress), cope with depression and loneliness, and greater sexual satisfaction.
Our recent work on psychological and subjective aging clocks developed using AI also provided a clue that looking younger and thinking more positively about the future correlated with lower mortality. So by looking younger you may actually live longer.
Despite the ongoing political battle over body positivity and "authenticity," wanting to look younger is very natural and certainly no cause for being stigmatized.Ultimately though, simply looking younger is not enough.we still need to invest more efforts into aging and longevity biotechnology.Helping people to live longer and more productive lives remains one of the most significant medical challenges imaginable.Also, eliminating the risk of deadly age-related conditions such as Alzheimer's disease makes research into aging an investment that will repay itself many times over.
Cosmetic procedures coupled with aging clocks may help improve the outlook on life, provide more ... [+] optimistic view on the future, extend reproductive age, and decrease mortality.
To learn more about the exciting and complex field of anti-aging research, consider attending the largest conference on aging research and drug discovery organized every year by the University of Copenhagen and Columbia University 8th Aging Research and Drug Discovery.
No Shame In Wanting To Look Younger - It Is Natural And You Might As Well Live Longer - Forbes
- Medical Aesthetics Market Report Highlights The Competitive Scenario With Impact Of Drivers And Challenges 2027 UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel... - September 1st, 2021
- Study Results Announced During Award-Winning Presentation on the Effect of Sufentanil Sublingual Tablet on Outpatient Plastic Surgery at the Annual... - September 1st, 2021
- Jr NTR guts: He talks about being obese in past.. - Tollywood - September 1st, 2021
- 'Nine Perfect Strangers': Samara Weaving's Perspective of Influencers Changed After Playing Jessica - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 1st, 2021
- Plastic surgeon with offices in Brea, Beverly Hills charged with sexually assaulting 2 patients - KTLA Los Angeles - September 1st, 2021
- 'RHOP': Candiace Dillard on Her Co-Stars Body-Shaming Wendy Osefo - 'They're Bored' - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - September 1st, 2021
- Porsha Williams Shuts Down Plastic Surgery Rumors, Says Its Ok to Have a Fupa or Gut - Us Weekly - September 1st, 2021
- Marlo Hampton shows swelling of the eyes after receiving a hair transplant - Floridanewstimes.com - August 19th, 2021
- I had two Liposuction surgeries Tonto Dike reveals - Daily Post Nigeria - August 19th, 2021
- Katie Price savagely mocked by fiance Carl Woods as he tells her shes gone too far with plastic sur... - The US Sun - August 19th, 2021
- The Hills Heidi Montag undergoes surgery to help with conceiving her second child with husband Spencer P... - The US Sun - August 19th, 2021
- Katie Price and Carl Woods tease that countdown is on until wedding - Metro.co.uk - August 19th, 2021
- Teen Mom Bristol Palin shows off impressive abs in a sports bra & leggings weeks after showing off tummy... - The US Sun - August 19th, 2021
- Mum-of-four recalls horrific ordeal after tummy tuck procedure in Turkey goes horribly wrong - Sunday World - August 19th, 2021
- Detroit Native Becomes First Black Woman To Launch Weight Loss Supplement In The Vitamin Shoppe - BET - August 19th, 2021
- Teen Mom Bristol Palin reunites with ex Dakota Meyer and daughter Sailor, 5, while fans think theyre back... - The Sun - August 19th, 2021
- Ajaipal Kang, M.D.: What to know and do before having cosmetic surgery - GoErie.com - August 6th, 2021
- What is Donda?... - The US Sun - August 6th, 2021
- The Global Medical Aesthetics Market Continues To Grow Owing To the Rising Demand for Surgical Procedures Related To Better External Appearances,... - August 6th, 2021
- The BBL effect: How the Brazilian butt lift went mainstream - Vox.com - August 6th, 2021
- Chinese streaming star dies after botched liposuction leads to infection with flesh-eating bacteria - The Independent - July 22nd, 2021
- Learn how to remove unwanted fat with procedures beyond liposuction - ABC 4 - July 22nd, 2021
- 'Rogue ballerina' Georgina Pazcoguin on bullying, affairs and secret liposuction - The Times - July 22nd, 2021
- Chinese influencers death after liposuction highlights dangers of plastic surgery - SupChina - July 22nd, 2021
- Newsweek Names Dr. Brian Reedy One of America's Best Plastic Surgeons in 2021 | Around the Web-Pennsylvania - Pennsylvanianewstoday.com - July 22nd, 2021
- liposuction jars Market 2021, Scope and Price Analysis of Top Manufacturers Profiles The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 22nd, 2021
- Katie Price reveals close up look at her new face with no filter after surgery that left her fearing she... - The Sun - July 22nd, 2021
- Global Aesthetic Services Market to Reach $25 Billion by 2027 - Yahoo Finance - July 22nd, 2021
- Jackie Bracamontes showing off her slim figure in a bikini by the pool - Amico Hoops - July 22nd, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker hit wedding rumors, increasing celebrity love news | Gallery - Texasnewstoday.com - July 22nd, 2021
- Dr. R. Brannon Claytor Named One of America's Best Plastic Surgeons of 2021 by Newsweek - The Wellsboro Gazette - July 22nd, 2021
- Medical Aesthetics Market Highly Favorable To The Growth Rate By 2026 Allergan, Alma Lasers, Ltd. (A Division of Sisram Medical Ltd.), Anika... - July 22nd, 2021
- Medical Aesthetics Market (2021 to 2026) Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast Allergan, Alma Lasers, Ltd. (A Division of... - July 22nd, 2021
- Menopause Belly: Causes, Solutions, and Prevention Tips - Healthline - July 22nd, 2021
- Who was Donda West? Kanye's mother inspires new album to be released this Friday - The National - July 22nd, 2021
- Dr. R. Brannon Claytor Named One of America's Best Plastic Surgeons of 2021 by Newsweek - WFMZ Allentown - July 22nd, 2021
- Constantine Cosmetic Surgery Recognized With Best Of State Statue - KPVI News 6 - July 22nd, 2021
- Big Plastic Surgery Increase from 2015 to 2019 Underscores Normalization of Aesthetic Enhancements, says Beverly Hills Physicians - WFMZ Allentown - July 22nd, 2021
- Europe Breast Reconstruction Market is Expected to Grow at 8.9% in the Forecast Period of 2021 to 20 - PharmiWeb.com - July 22nd, 2021
- Teen Mom Leah Messer shows off impressive abs in a tiny bikini during family vacation with daughters... - The US Sun - July 22nd, 2021
- Body Modification Addict Needs More Surgery After He Removed His Navel - Newsweek - July 22nd, 2021
- The Future of Breast Cancer Surgery Is Here - OncLive - July 7th, 2021
- The tattoo artist has made changes in protest and wants to slash his hand - Mediarun Search - July 7th, 2021
- Opinion: Cost Savings from Medical Tourism May Not Be Worth Risk - Times of San Diego - July 7th, 2021
- Katie Price unrecognisable in shocking surgery pictures after Brazilian bum lift, liposuction, eye and lip... - The US Sun - July 7th, 2021
- Here's How You Can Hit Your Body Goals This Summer - FemaleFirst.co.uk - July 7th, 2021
- MAFS star Cathy Evans shocking leaking ordeal after $30,000 liposuction surgery and Brazilian butt lift - PerthNow - July 7th, 2021
- Teen Mom Jade Cline shares full body pics after getting liposuction on her neck and Brazilian butt lif... - The US Sun - July 7th, 2021
- 'RHONJ' star Jennifer Aydin shows off her nose job and chin implant - Page Six - July 7th, 2021
- Aesthetic Devices Market 2021 |Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Size, Share, Company Overview, Growth And Forecast By 2027 Rust Wire - Rust Wire - July 7th, 2021
- Get to know Mina Starsiak: Age, kids and Instagram of the HGTV star! - Reality Titbit - Celebrity TV News - July 7th, 2021
- Hydraulic Retarders Market Value Projected to Expand by 2027 Covid-19 Analysis Rust Wire - Rust Wire - July 7th, 2021
- Battery Torque Wrench Market is Anticipated to Record the Rapid Growth and Prominent Players Analysis Rust Wire - Rust Wire - July 7th, 2021
- Anti-Aging Therapies and Services Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2021 2028 The Courier - The Courier - June 26th, 2021
- Global Anti-Aging Therapies and Services Market with Covid 19 Analysis and Challenges On Upcoming Trends 2021-2028 The Manomet Current - The Manomet... - June 26th, 2021
- Teen Mom Bristol Palin shares cryptic quote as fans speculate she rekindled romance with ex-husband Dakota... - The US Sun - June 26th, 2021
- Katie Price shares pics of swollen legs after liposuction surgery in Turkey - The Mirror - June 26th, 2021
- Negative-pressure Liposuction Market Size, Share 2021, Impressive Industry Growth Report 2027 The Courier - The Courier - June 26th, 2021
- Laser Assisted Liposuction Devices Market and Growth 2021 By Industry Analysis, and In-Depth Regional Research KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - June 26th, 2021
- 8 Things a Plastic Surgeon Wants You to Know About a 'Mommy Makeover' - NewBeauty Magazine - June 26th, 2021
- Katie Price trolled for leaving Harvey to get liposuction in Turkey - The News International - June 26th, 2021
- Global Liposuction Market 2021-2026 Financial Insights, Business Growth Strategies with Competitive Landscape | Top Brands: Alma Lasers, Invasix... - June 26th, 2021
- Striding ahead in turning back the clock: Non-invasive cosmetic treatments - The Jerusalem Post - June 26th, 2021
- Liposuction Surgery Devices market size to expand momentously over 2021-2026 - News By ReportsGO - June 26th, 2021
- Cosmetic surgeon faces legal action over operation on teenagers labia - The Age - June 26th, 2021
- Global Liposuction Device Market 2021 High Growth Prediction due to Increasing Demand and Future Trends | Top Brands: Solta Medical, Wells Johnson Co,... - June 26th, 2021
- Global Dermatology Devices Market 2020 Industry Insights, Top Trends, Key Players, Production Development , Application and Opportunities to 2027... - June 26th, 2021
- Global Anti-aging Market 2021 Growth Analysis, Opportunities, Trends, Developments and Forecast to 2026 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - June 9th, 2021
- Teen Mom Jade Cline shows off her figure in a tight blue dress after star admits she got liposuction on... - The US Sun - June 9th, 2021
- Teen Mom Jade Cline admits she got liposuction on her NECK after fans think her face looks totally d... - The US Sun - June 9th, 2021
- SB Aesthetics Medical Spa Offers Non-Surgical Facial Fillers and Botox Procedure To Help Minimize The Signs Of Aging - Digital Journal - June 9th, 2021
- liposuction jars Market 2021, Scope and Price Analysis of Top Manufacturers Profiles The Courier - The Courier - June 9th, 2021
- Deirdre Rhoad, MD, a Plastic Surgeon with Rhoad to Beauty | YorkPedia - York Pedia - June 9th, 2021
- Cosmetic Surgery Market SWOT Analysis by Size, Status and Forecast to 2021-2027 The Shotcaller - The Shotcaller - June 9th, 2021
- Mum who tucked rolls of skin into her knickers after losing 9st says tummy tuck has changed her life - Grimsby Live - June 9th, 2021
- Bethesda-area plastic surgery has been on the rise during the pandemic - BethesdaMagazine.com - June 9th, 2021
- Kailyn Lowry Slammed by Fans Over Surgery - Heavy.com - June 9th, 2021
- Global Liposuction Surgery Devices Market 2021 Latest Insights, Covid 19 Impact analysis, Growth Rate, Future Trends and Forecast to 2026 | Reports... - May 29th, 2021
- Liposuction What Is It All About? Know the Basics - - VENTS Magazine - May 29th, 2021
- UAE Weight Loss Market Overview, Trends, Opportunities, Growth and Forecast by 2025 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 29th, 2021