A trial judge shouldn't get in the way of people's freedom to receive cosmetic body modifications, even if some in the medical field think the procedures are unwise, a lawyer says.
Self-proclaimed extreme body modifier Brendan Leigh Russell, who goes by moniker BSlice, believes he is the first person in his industry prosecuted in Australia for breaching the criminal code.
He denies charges of manslaughter, female genital mutilation and intentionally causing grievous bodily harm, related to procedures conducted between 2015 and 2017.
The woman who received the "tummy tuck" subject of the third charge, gave consent at least in a simple sense, Russell's lawyer told the NSW District Court.
"Freedom of choice means nothing unless it includes the freedom to make choices that others think are unwise," Michal Mantaj said in his closing address on Thursday.
Mr Mantaj urged against placing weight in a UK appeal court's 2018 finding that consensual body modification could be in breach of that country's criminal code.
He said Judge Helen Syme should avoid usurping the role of parliament in regulating the industry.
Veering away from the UK judgment would protect "bodily inviolability", also known as bodily integrity, and avoid criminalising the act of receiving such procedures.
The judge-alone trial has heard the woman paid $800 to receive the abdominoplasty in Russell's parlour in Erina Fair shopping centre on the NSW Central Coast.
She said she wanted an "Elle Macpherson tummy", which Russell said he could achieve.
But the woman said she was left with little aftercare instructions to cope with her "extreme pain" and severe bleeding.
Against what she says were Russell's suggestions, she sought medical advice, leading to emergency surgery.
That surgical intervention, involving reopening and repairing the original wound, meant Russell couldn't be found to have caused serious scarring, Mr Mantaj said.
Regardless, the scarring wasn't permanent or permanently disfiguring as it was "completely removed" by a second reconstructive surgery in 2020.
That scar, a thin line running from hip to hip, was compared to a caesarean scar.
Far from intending to "spoil" the woman's appearance, Russell sought to improve it, hampering the case for criminal intent, Mr Mantaj said.
The 40-year-old's most serious charge stems from the 2017 death of a woman who had a plastic snowflake inserted in her hand three weeks before her death.
The woman's hand became infected but she refused to seek medical treatment, with the Crown alleging Russell specifically deterred her from such treatment hours before her death.
Mr Mantaj said his client had a duty of care but the court couldn't rely on any evidence that he breached it, let alone grossly breached it.
A "chorus of experts" expressed uncertainty about the Crown's allegation the cause of death was sepsis.
As for a charge of female genital mutilation in 2015, he asked Judge Syme not read the law literally.
The law, which applies to non-medical mutilations of another person, was in fact trying to outlaw mutilations on children for traditional or ritualistic purposes, he said.
A guilty finding would criminalise labiaplasties conducted by cosmetic surgeons for non-health reasons.
"It is, by now, trite law that legislation ought to be construed ... by the mischief it seeks to address," he said.
The Crown says the judge has little reason to find Russell not guilty for the two earlier crimes. It says a guilty verdict is open on the manslaughter charge, pointing to the non-medically trained defendant's approach to a "high-risk" implant procedure.
Judge Syme is expected to deliver her verdicts and reasons in mid-November.
Australian Associated Press
The rest is here:
Body mod trial 'a freedom of choice issue' - Northern Beaches Review
- Dr. Ivan Puah Highlights The Significant Impact Of Covid That Changes Our Priority In Life - Benzinga - Benzinga - January 19th, 2022
- New Year's weight loss resolution might put you at risk of falling for a scam | Better Business Bureau - Commercial Appeal - January 19th, 2022
- Plastic Surgery That Guarantees Beauty and Affordability With Mia Aesthetics - Digital Journal - January 19th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Risks and Safety | American Society of Plastic ... - January 19th, 2022
- Global Body Fat Reduction Markets, 2021-2022 & Forecast to 2025 - Innovation of LipoContrast / Rising Social Acceptance of Aesthetic Procedures /... - January 19th, 2022
- 7 Best Compression Garments After Tummy Tuck (2021 Review) - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Recovery Timeline Period, Week 1, 2, 3, and 4 - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Photos | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - January 4th, 2022
- Atlanta Plastic - Buckhead Breast Implants, Tummy Tuck ... - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Preparation | American Society of Plastic Surgeons - January 4th, 2022
- Katie Prices son Harvey is treated to a pamper day as he enjoys a clean shave and says its so relax... - The Sun - January 4th, 2022
- Seriously: Laughter is good for your health and well-being J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - January 4th, 2022
- Mum-of-two, 39, dies after botched liposuction operation which left her with injuries like shed been in a... - The US Sun - January 4th, 2022
- Tummy Tuck Cost: Mini Tummy Tuck Prices List 2021 - December 23rd, 2021
- Kerry Katona gets a 'brand new face' with procedure to remove fat and Botox - swiftheadline - Swift Digital news agency - December 23rd, 2021
- Rappers Offset & Big Daddy Kane Ran Into Each Other At The LIQUOR STORE - News Nation USA - December 23rd, 2021
- The Skincare Trends Set To Explode In 2022, According To The Experts - British Vogue - December 23rd, 2021
- What Not to Say to a Breast Cancer Previvor - Everyday Health - December 23rd, 2021
- Liposuction Risks and Safety | American Society of Plastic ... - December 23rd, 2021
- Revel You, Chaowen Wu, MD Is The Woodlands Plastic Surgery Clinic To Visit - Digital Journal - December 23rd, 2021
- Kerry Katona gets a brand new face with procedure to remove fat and Botox - The Mirror - December 23rd, 2021
- Blake Shelton Shock: Gwen Stefani's Husband Obsessed With Plastic Surgery, Botox, Liposuction? Country Singer Insecure - Epicstream - December 23rd, 2021
- 'They've got these alien features': The rise of unregulated cosmetic procedures in Ireland - The Irish Times - December 10th, 2021
- Mental Health Matters: When it comes to social media how can we reject the toxic parts? - Corpus Christi Caller-Times - December 10th, 2021
- Bellaroma Hospitals liposuction and other cosmetic treatments have enthralled all - NEWS HEADS - December 10th, 2021
- Katie Prices fiance Carl Woods praised by fans for posting rare unfiltered snap of star... - The US Sun - December 10th, 2021
- Global Body Contouring Devices Market Industry Analysis and Forecasts 2021-2027, Featuring Allergan, Cutera, InMode, Sciton, Lumenis and Lutronic -... - December 10th, 2021
- The sneaky plastic surgeries that make celebrities look better than you - New York Post - December 10th, 2021
- Aesthetics industrys new genius treatment interventions and hero protocols offer incredible results - Dr Nestor - The Scotsman - December 10th, 2021
- Google Year in Search 2021: What Croatia googled the most this year - Croatia Week - December 10th, 2021
- How to Look Like You're 20 Again: Beauty Tips and Tricks That Guarantee Results - The Seeker Newsmagazine Cornwall - The Seeker - November 23rd, 2021
- Vampire Facelift: Experts reveal the pros and cons of a procedure that helped Kim Kardashian accentuate her features - Times Now - November 23rd, 2021
- 'RHOP' RECAP: Wendy Brings 'Big' Receipts, Chris Confronts Mia & Nicki Minaj Surprises The Ladies In Reunion Part 3! - All About The Tea - November 23rd, 2021
- From tummy tucks to facelifts: Pet plastic surgery happening in Northeast Ohio - fox8.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Dr. John Anastasatos of Los Angeles Plastic Surgery Announces an Innovative and More Effective Minimally Invasive Facelift Procedure - Yahoo Finance - November 9th, 2021
- Amber Rose Is Getting Liposuction on Her Stomach: 'I Have a Lot of Scar Tissue From My C-Sections' - PEOPLE - November 9th, 2021
- Mama June shows off glam makeover in new TikTok at over one year sober after destroying looks in addiction... - The US Sun - November 9th, 2021
- Katie Price shows off the results of her recent facelift in Turkey... - The US Sun - November 9th, 2021
- Liposuction Equipment Market Recent Opportunities with Growth Forecasts by 2027 Alma Lasers, Ambicare Clinics, Bruker Corporation and Others LSMedia... - November 9th, 2021
- Everything to Know About the Newest Jawline-Tightening Treatments - NewBeauty Magazine - November 9th, 2021
- Horrifying report exposes the seedy underworld of lethally botched butt-injection operations - Raw Story - November 9th, 2021
- The curious afterlife of the Lord of the Skies - Business Insider - November 9th, 2021
- Column: The basics of plastic surgery | South Lake Tahoe - SouthTahoeNow.com - South Tahoe Now - November 9th, 2021
- Dr. Nitin J. Engineer: Everything You Need to Know About Tummy Tucks - Las Vegas Review-Journal - November 9th, 2021
- Dr. Luis Macias and Aesthetic MdR Named Top Plastic Surgeon, Best Surgery Center and Best MediSpa - Business Wire - November 9th, 2021
- Pain point - The New Indian Express - October 29th, 2021
- Body modifier breached duty of care: Crown - The West Australian - October 29th, 2021
- Vertex (VRTX) to Report Q3 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - October 29th, 2021
- Dr. Nitin J. Engineer is Changing the Plastic Surgery Field for the Better - Westword - October 29th, 2021
- Opioid Analgesics Sales to Grow by 1.7X through 2031 as the Demand for Post-Surgery Pain Management Continues to Rise: Future Market Insights - Yahoo... - October 29th, 2021
- Good Karma: Russian Monk's Gender Affirmative Journey & Why Bengaluru is the Preferred Destination - News18 - October 29th, 2021
- Global Liposuction Surgery Devices Market 2021 Future Set to Massive Growth with High CAGR value | Market Players: Wells Johnson Co, Zeltiq aesthetics... - October 29th, 2021
- What its really like to freeze your fat with CoolSculpting - harpersbazaar.com - October 29th, 2021
- Wild West without the sheriffs: Cosmetic clinics accused of botched surgeries, breaches - Sydney Morning Herald - October 29th, 2021
- What It's Like to Get 'Gladiator' Surgery to Sculpt Abs and Pecs - menshealth.com - October 29th, 2021
- Tips for recovery after breast reconstruction surgery - Baylor College of Medicine News - October 17th, 2021
- Weve spent tens of thousands on surgery can you guess what weve had done and whose nip and tucks cost t... - The Sun - October 17th, 2021
- Body modifier said he had no qualification - Northern Beaches Review - October 17th, 2021
- Jane Park's body transformation - from girl next door to lotto winner to celeb - The Mirror - October 17th, 2021
- Why the head of Wisconsin's sham audit is facing resignation calls - MSNBC - October 17th, 2021
- Liposuction Surgical Procedures Market Research Report by Technology, by Body Parts, by Application, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative... - October 17th, 2021
- Sex Change Surgeries On The Rise In India; 30-Year-Old Shares Her Story - TheHealthSite - October 17th, 2021
- 5 things you need to know about Meghan King including THAT sordid threesome - MEAWW - October 17th, 2021
- Global Medical Aesthetics Market (2021 to 2028) - Growing Adoption of Minimally Invasive and Non-invasive - Benzinga - October 17th, 2021
- Expert reveals Teen Mom 2 alum Jenelle Evans is the most beautiful of the cast, according to the golden... - The US Sun - October 17th, 2021
- Top plastic surgeon on how he knocks 20 years off women with overnight 'mummy makeovers' - Daily Star - October 17th, 2021
- Jeremy Warner, MD, FACS, a Plastic Surgeon with Warner Aesthetic and Reconstructive Institute - Pro News Report - October 17th, 2021
- Cardi B in Paris: All of the Star's Amazing Fashion Week Looks So Far - PEOPLE - October 6th, 2021
- Cardi B says she lost so much blood during birth as she ... - October 6th, 2021
- Cardi B REACTS to liposuction rumours after welcoming baby; Reveals tragic reason behind her snatched bod - PINKVILLA - October 6th, 2021
- Hong Kong doctor jailed for 6 years over dance instructors death in liposuction procedure - Hong Kong Free Press - October 6th, 2021
- Liposuction Procedure Steps | American Society of Plastic ... - October 6th, 2021
- Hagens Berman: Law Firm Investigating Permanent Injuries and Disfigurement from Botched CoolSculpting Procedures - Yahoo Finance - October 6th, 2021
- Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery 'Experts': Can We Really Trust Them? - City Watch - October 6th, 2021
- Willow Smith says she considered getting a Brazilian butt lift. Here's why the procedure is so dangerous. - Yahoo Philippines News - October 6th, 2021
- Sales of Ultrasonic Electrosurgery Devices Is Expected to Account for over US$ 1000 Mn Revenues by 2022-end - Digital Journal - October 6th, 2021
- What Exactly Is a Brazilian Butt Lift and Why Is Everyone Talking About Them? - POPSUGAR - October 6th, 2021
- Bakersfield surgeon placed on five-year probation - KERO 23ABC News - October 6th, 2021
- Fat freezing complications may be more common than thought - Euro Weekly News - October 6th, 2021
- Plastic surgeon to celebrities explains every tool she uses - Insider - October 6th, 2021